Menu
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 1 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Talking Pictures TV

http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/

This seems like a great channel showing vintage British films. The Radio Times often recommends the films they show. Available on Freeview and Sky,  but not Virgin. Why not ?

I've contacted them to find out why and the Managing Director has kindly replied saying that 'it's up to Virgin'. They are making it available if VM want it. As its being shown free to air, there can't be much, if any cost involved.  There is a lack of film channels, outside the Sky premium ones, on VM's output.

Could someone from VM tell us whether there are plans to get this channel?  If not, why not, if its on Freeview and has been made available to them?  

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Talking Pictures TV

Depends if what TP are prepared to pay & what Virgin are asking for carriage are acceptable to both parties. Costs to Virgin? Compared to Sky & Freesat, considerably more. They dont have to pump all the channels round a huge countrywide network, & provide free repairs to customers equipment. Sky & Freesat dont own or operate the satellites they use. They are someone elses problem.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 3 of 72
Flag for a moderator

If there is a cost maybe they could put it  in the XL package.  It costs a lot now and not everyone is interested in BT Sport.

There are an increasing number of FREEview channels not available on VM (e.g. SpikeTV, POP, RT, Men and Movies and now Talking Pictures). Can't imagine the costs are great to carry these channels if Freeview have them.  Soon customers are going to ask what they are paying for.

However I would appreciate a response from someone within VM on Talking Pictures.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Joining each platform is a cost to the provider. VM has the smallest audience & the biggest costs. Who are channel owners going to leave out? You guessed it. XL TV is a profit share pack. The extra revenue therefore usually goes back to the channel owner, & adding channels increases costs to the customer.

And if you think you are going to get a response from staff here about specific channel deals, you wont get anywhere.  They are all covered by Non-disclosure agreements (which us SU's also have to abide by), so could not talk about it even if they did know something.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 72
Flag for a moderator

I am bemused by the number of people demanding that channels available on Freeview must be on VM. Prior to my contract being up for renewal in the summer I will be reviewing my requirements, i.e. do I still need a Pay TV provider rather than just use Freeview/Freesat. Staying with the former will be because I feel a need to get channels that are only available via a Pay TV supplier. If all I need are free channels then I will use the latter route.

Since costs are always going up and most people are complaining about this then I fail to understand why VM would waste money on channels that are already available on Freeview. 

Freeview/Freesat recorders are a relatively inexpensive one-off cost rather than paying a subscription.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 6 of 72
Flag for a moderator

So 

frank_gm wrote:

Since costs are always going up and most people are complaining about this then I fail to understand why VM would waste money on channels that are already available on Freeview. 

So VM should get rid of all the BBC and ITV channels too?  Not everybody does have access to Freeview. They might not have upgraded or have an aerial if they have cable.  Having channels on a single box makes recording them easier, and no need for extra equipment.

As it happens I can get Freeview, but not Talking Pictures.  It broadcasts on the Freeview HD multiplex, even though the channel itself is SD, so you need Freeview HD receiver.  SKY are broadcasting it ok.

It would be good to get a response from VM. For all we know negotiations may be well advanced.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Mr_K wrote:

So 

frank_gm wrote:

So VM should get rid of all the BBC and ITV channels too?  

Not possible. They are prescribed channels under OFCOM rules, & must be carried by all TV platforms.

Not everybody does have access to Freeview. They might not have upgraded or have an aerial if they have cable.  Having channels on a single box makes recording them easier, and no need for extra equipment.

As it happens I can get Freeview, but not Talking Pictures.  It broadcasts on the Freeview HD multiplex, even though the channel itself is SD, so you need Freeview HD receiver.  SKY are broadcasting it ok.

But they wont pay Freesat for a slot on their platform, or go for more expensive capacity on Freeview to make them available to everyone with the platform. Sounds like they are doing this on the cheap.

It would be good to get a response from VM. For all we know negotiations may be well advanced.

No chance. Confidential information.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 8 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that nodrogd, but I was really looking for a response from VM.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Alright, I will let you in on a little secret. The standard form for any replies about new channels goes something like:

"We don't have (insert channel name here) yet but we are always in talks with channel providers to ensure we can offer the best line up for our customers.  As soon as we have any news we will let you know."

with a few words changed here & there for good measure.

VM do take notice of requests for new channels, & obviously if channels that are not carried gain popularity on other platforms, there is more chance VM will revisit adding them to the lineup.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 10 of 72
Flag for a moderator

You're very cynical nodrogd !

I'm sure someone from VM will be along very soon to answer my question, as they are lovely people Smiley Happy

0 Kudos