Menu
Jameshow
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TV without tivo

Is there any alternative to the TiVo box? The box I have is about 10 months old (it's been crap since day one though) and its painful to use. It's so slow and clunky and can take up to 5 minutes to actually do anything after pressing a button, especially when trying to do something as complex as open the guide...if there's no alternative I'll just be cancelling as soon as I can.
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV without tivo

Short answer. No, not really. All the other boxes are being phased out over the next few years, as they cannot provide all the services people are expecting. A new updated 4k TiVO is heavily rumoured to be in the pipeline.

Have you had signal levels etc checked, as this can cause slow responses on any VM boxes?

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jameshow,

A warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear TiVo® is running slowly for you.  I'd like to check if there's any fault here causing this for you.

I have carried out various checks with your box remotely, all looks fine with the signal levels and there's no network issues present either which is great to see.

I'd like to know more about the slowness of the TiVo®.  Can you please tell me exactly what is running slow?  

* Menu navigation.

* Changing channel.

* Ordering On Demand/Using Apps.

One other thing as I'd like to rule out the remote control as a possible suspect, will you get the same slow response if you use the buttons on the front of the TiVo ®?  

If you can let me know I can check this further for you.  Keep me posted.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jameshow
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette, thanks for running the tests I thought I noticed my internet drop for a minute last night. Guessing that was it Smiley Surprised
Pretty much everything about it is slow, from opening menus to scrolling through the guide. Catch up/on demand is almost unusable. It takes about 5 minutes to open something like the channel 4 catch up and then when we do manage to get a programme playing it loads very slow and at a low resolution even though it's plugged directly into the super hub with an Ethernet cable. Trying to get off the catch up and back to normal TV takes about 10 minutes, it just seems to freeze up as soon as you try closing it all
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jameshow,

Thanks for the quick reply Smiley Happy

From what you  have described, it does seem to be quite clumsy in it's responses.  I would like to arrange for an engineer to call round and give everything a good health check if that's ok?

I will send you a private message with further details of the next steps.  Look for the envelope icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos