Menu
janetgreen
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TV in bedroom

Is there a way of getting tv in another room... replicating what is on the tivo box please?

We do not want another box

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV in bedroom

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-SPLITTER-Amplifier-Display-Shipping-BLACK/dp/B001D9P1OW and a very long HDMI cable (assuming the signal wont degrade over the distance you need
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

There are several possibilities, none of which are ideal.

The simplest is an analogue video sender that connects the second set wirelessly. You won't be able to watch in HD (in fact the HD channels will look worse), & the senders performance can be variable depending on your house construction. Also some models share the 2.4Ghz WiFi band, which can already be congested.

Wired RF connection, (via a coax cable) will need an analogue RF modulator, & a TV with an analogue tuner (again, no HD available).

If you do want HD, then a long HDMI lead is a possibility.

You can also get HD video senders, but they would probably work out more expensive than renting a second box.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just pay for a second box
0 Kudos
stagetechuk
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Janet

We have a fairly cost effective solution which makes use of an existing aerial cable running from the lounge to the bedroom. I purchased an RF Modulator online for about £15, and the rest I had lying around. The setup allows us to watch the tivo box on a channel in the bedroom TV, as well as getting freeview as normal. The compromise is that the picture quality is only as good as normal 'analogue' TV used to be, and I use a mobile app to change the channel on the Tivo box if required.

WP_20160122_21_10_50_Pro.jpg

If you want a better quality picture then you need to stay digital. On paper HDMI will work up to 10 metres, but in reality it can go up to 15. This is dependant on the hardware involved and how tolerant it is of a weaker signal. An alternative would be to buy a unit that will send an HDMI signal over inexpensive CAT5 cable. This units can typically send over a distance of up to 100M, with no loss of quality and also the ability to send the infra red signals from your remote back to the source. These units are usually around £100, and you'd also need to purchase an HDMI splitter to avoid having to be constantly swapping cables back and forth, you can pick these up on eBay for around £30.

Finally, as another user points out, you could just pay for a second box - although I have no idea how much extra this would cost. I am considering this as a option in the near future so if anyone can give an indication of cost and how much hassle the installation would be that would be great!

Hope this helps

James

--
Former Virgin Media customer
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I would emphasise, with the method above the TV must have an ANALOGUE tuner. A lot of the newer TV's now dont have these, as there are no longer any analogue TV transmissions in Europe, so manufacturers no longer need install them. Also to use an analogue Video sender, the TV needs to have a Scart socket or other analogue AV input.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos