Menu
Dreamholder
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

TV box is switching itself on, changing channels, and will not stay off.

I got up this morning to find that my Virgin Media set-top box (in this case set-underneath) had turned itself on and was flicking through the channels.
I've tried, for 20 mins without success, to persuade it to turn off. Every time I manage to turn it off, it turns itself back on. I've now had to unplug it to get it to stay off. 

I tried with the remote - when I changed channels it changed them again immediately, when I tried powering down it powered right back up. There was a long lag before any button would have an effect.

I tried with the buttons on the box. It powered right back up.

I unplugged it for 30 seconds, let it boot, and tried again to turn it off...it powered back up.

After reading things on the internet, I even tried turning off the lights while I used the remote...it powered back up immediately.

Any suggestions?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV box is switching itself on, changing channels, and will not stay off.

Sounds like you need a new VM box.

We had that sort of thing happening here years ago, TV would switch it self off, change channels, cordless doorbell ringing at odd times etc; In this area we were prone to power cuts in the winter as well as reduced voltages dirty mains etc. The power company had a lot to do with that, there have been some improvements since but all is not cured. 

http://www.emfields-solutions.com/howto/what-to-do-about-dirty-electricity.asp

Although frequent blue screen of death (BSOD) on the PC were still a problem until I got a UPS  ( Uninterruptible Power Supply), now it's always in line and so far BSOD's are rare event and no TV hiccups.

My UPS is in line rated at 2KVA and feeds the PC, monitor, external audio for the PC, super Hub, Tivo box, TV lamp and TV.

http://www.powerinspired.com/vis-series-ups-c-100_108.html

More reading about UPS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Dreamholder, 

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this weird problem with your set "under" box, and I have to admit I'm a little flummoxed if truth be told. 

I've run some testing on the offending box, and can see absolutely no reason for this - all the signal levels are fine, and I can't see any errors being logged by the box. Hopefully this has now stopped, as I can see that the box is currently in Standby mode - however if you are still experiencing some unexplained activity then I'd firstly like to ask you to remove the batteries out of the remote control, as sometimes when batteries are running low some strange things can happen. 

Please let me know how this all goes. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Dreamholder
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, my apologies for not getting back here earlier. I forgot I had posted and for some reason got a notification of replies just this morning but not for the earlier post.

It took a few days of problems but I did eventually find and correct the issue.

It was an old Virgin Media remote nearby which had somehow activated and was sending a signal. I don't know what made it activate, but I was moving things around near the box, looking to see if there was anything obvious that might be interfering with the signal, when I noticed a red light on the old remote control. I pulled out the batteries and haven't had any more trouble.

My thanks to those who posted suggestions and to the Virgin Media rep who took the trouble to check my box. I appreciate your efforts.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update Dreamholder,

I'm pleased to hear you figured out what it was causing the problem and got it sorted.

Should you need us again in the future, you know where to find us Smiley Happy

All the best.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos