Menu
Gas_Up_Lets-Go
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TV & Broadband, Major Outage - North West

For information:

There is a high order failure in North West England, Cumbria down to North Lancs.  Someone has cut through the main trunk cable.

Been speaking with Tech Support, estimated fix is 16:00 today 

0 Kudos
steelysteph
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV & Broadband, Major Outage - North West

Hopefully that will explain why my services went off late last night (Lancaster).

0 Kudos
twin--turbo
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Utter garbage, if they don't have any diverse routing to prevent catastrophic outages then they should not be an ISP!

This also happened over 12 hrs ago at least, given that to cut a cable you already have civil works under way then identifying the location is not difficult ( in reality you don't even need a hole in the road to work out where a fault is)

The response is disgusting.

Everyone should have free 4G backup if this is the expected level of response.

And everyone should be getting a months free service for March, and not a free service extension as so many want to move to a better service. Come back ADSL!

TT
0 Kudos
bazh2002
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Since this happened my box has been pausing and pixelating, and is still doing this today, I fear this problem as not been adequately resolved. Phone call to Virgin in the morning. Been with Virgin for the last 15 months after leaving Sky only because of champion league coverage, but this TiVo is utter crap not fit for purpose and slow as crap. sky was instant easy to follow and far better gui.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

twin--turbo wrote:
Utter garbage, if they don't have any diverse routing to prevent catastrophic outages then they should not be an ISP!

This also happened over 12 hrs ago at least, given that to cut a cable you already have civil works under way then identifying the location is not difficult ( in reality you don't even need a hole in the road to work out where a fault is)

The response is disgusting.

Everyone should have free 4G backup if this is the expected level of response.

And everyone should be getting a months free service for March, and not a free service extension as so many want to move to a better service. Come back ADSL!

TT

We had a situation like this with a broken BT Fibre cable a while ago (attempted cable theft). It took them all of 4 days to fix it.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was affected by this outage.  Was down from around 11:50pm on Tuesday and was back up when I checked around 7:30am this morning.

If you were affected don't forget to get your partial refund from Customer Services for the outage.  It may not be much, but you are entitled to it.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
twin--turbo
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's why decent service providers invest in diversely routed networks with no SPF.

TTt
0 Kudos
twin--turbo
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why do we have to ask for a refund, more time wasted chasing VM. They will know who was affected so why not contact everybody either via e-mail or letter and send automatically apply a refund.

Why not try and put their heads above everyone else and pull consumer broadband out of the shabby state it is in.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

twin--turbo wrote:
Why do we have to ask for a refund, more time wasted chasing VM. They will know who was affected so why not contact everybody either via e-mail or letter and send automatically apply a refund.

Why not try and put their heads above everyone else and pull consumer broadband out of the shabby state it is in.

It needs an "across the board" ruling from the regulator to make sure any compensation scheme works fairly for all customers & all operators. This has completed the consultation process, with a final statement & implementaion timetable due in the autumn of this year:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0021/76260/automatic-compensation-call-for-inputs.pd...

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
twin--turbo
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ROFL....

It's only NEEDED to force the operator.

VM could step up, be proactive, be ahead of the game. But without legislation and regulation they do less than the minimum as they don't use the regulated Open Reach network.

TT
0 Kudos