Menu
J_tivouser
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

TIVO stuttering and pixelating for 2 minutes every 2 hours

Hello

for many months now we've experienced the TV picture and sound stuttering for about 1 to 2 minutes at 8 minutes past 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 10pm and midnight (especially bad at midnight). Any program recording at those times has pixellation for the same length of time when viewed later. I believe it's to do with the TIVO box not being able to handle all demands on it during the 2 hourly program schedule updates sent from Virgin.

Yep, I've reset the box back to factory settings but not cured (except it may have been slightly better immediately afterwards when there were very few repeat planned recordings scheduled).

Anyone experiencing the same pattern of behaviour or have any ideas or is it an engineer and new box needed?

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: TIVO stuttering and pixelating for 2 minutes every 2 hours

J_tivouser wrote:

Hello

for many months now we've experienced the TV picture and sound stuttering for about 1 to 2 minutes at 8 minutes past 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 10pm and midnight (especially bad at midnight). Any program recording at those times has pixellation for the same length of time when viewed later. I believe it's to do with the TIVO box not being able to handle all demands on it during the 2 hourly program schedule updates sent from Virgin.

Yep, I've reset the box back to factory settings but not cured (except it may have been slightly better immediately afterwards when there were very few repeat planned recordings scheduled).

Anyone experiencing the same pattern of behaviour or have any ideas or is it an engineer and new box needed?

Thanks in advance. 

Mine happens around quarter past the hour while watching a recording, stuttering initially but OK on rewind. The time it happens is not related to when the programme was recorded. It happened at around 20:15, 22:15 and 00:15 last night. and 20:15 tonight. Been happening for over two months now.

I'm reaching the end of my tether with VM. My thread is here :-

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Pixellation-etc/td-p/3020056

Apparently it is now an HDD problem, which has happened on both my boxes simultaneously, but apparently was not noticed by the Forum team or two engineers when they checked. Funny how it happens so predictably if it is an HDD problem.

With regard to the "2 hourly program schedule updates", I thought that this happened on a six hour schedule. I had investigated this as a possible cause for my problems but, although the updates sometimes coincided it was often not the case.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi J_tivouser,

Welcome into the Community and thank you for posting.

I'm sorry to see that you've been having some issues on the TiVo, I've been into the account and while I cannot see anything outright, I would like to mention that there are some timeouts on the box that would indicate a fault.

Can I ask you to reboot the box and monitor over the next 24 hours?

Keep in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
J_tivouser
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Ben

much appreciate your input. First to mention that starting a week ago it now happens every hour not as before every 2 hours and it's now at about 12 minutes past each hour. So, having rebooted the TiVo box (right from mains power off) I'll still getting the same bad stuttering on every hour through this evening for about 2 minutes each time but pleasantly it only lasted for a few seconds at 10 tonight.  So I'm wondering what is it that the TiVo box does hourly or is it something initiated from virgin talking to the TiVo box every hour at the same. Now a bit stuck as what to do so will monitor and suffer and most likely end up asking for an engineer in the next week or so.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hey again J_tivouser Smiley Happy

I hope you have been keeping well and thank you for your message back to me.

I am sorry to understand that this is still happening to you, and in even more frequency it seems. I can see that tehre are more timeouts and in the same 24 hour peropd which is something I would like to have looked into.

I would like to send an engineer out to get this sorted If you can have a little look inside your 'Inbox', you'll see I've sent you a 'Private Message'. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope Smiley Happy

Speak to you soon.

Ben

0 Kudos
J_tivouser
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Ben,

New TIVO box installed yesterday and all now seems resolved and working correctly. I suspect the old disk drive probably had bad sectors and the fault processing was slowing down the TIVO box's internal housekeeping every hour. New TIVO box is very fast getting channels, through the menus and in on demand - I'm impressed.

Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
NottinghamNick
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Evening
I don't know whether this is the same underlying problem, but the symptons are the same but far more frequent, without any apparent recurrence pattern and across all channels.
Issue started a few weeks ago and now appears most days.
I've tried the online service and equipment checks both in between and during issues on screen, but no faults identified with service or equipment.
Switched off and on again and all usual stuff.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Nick
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

NottinghamNick wrote:
Evening
I don't know whether this is the same underlying problem, but the symptons are the same but far more frequent, without any apparent recurrence pattern and across all channels.
Issue started a few weeks ago and now appears most days.
I've tried the online service and equipment checks both in between and during issues on screen, but no faults identified with service or equipment.
Switched off and on again and all usual stuff.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Nick

Can you have a look at this thread and the one it links to and let me know if it matches your experience?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TIVO-picture-glitches-at-10-mins-past-...

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi J_tivouser,

Cheers for coming in and talking to the Community again, it's great to see that the old box was indeed a contributer to your issues.

With the new box in place this will be the end of the stuttering. If you do feel you need any assistance in the future, please let me know here or pop me a message anytime.

All the best and take care.

Ben

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

BenD_H wrote:

Hi J_tivouser,

Cheers for coming in and talking to the Community again, it's great to see that the old box was indeed a contributer to your issues.

With the new box in place this will be the end of the stuttering. If you do feel you need any assistance in the future, please let me know here or pop me a message anytime.

All the best and take care.

Ben

Well then could you now take a look at the thread referenced above and address those of us with an outstanding issue.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/TIVO-picture-glitches-at-10-mins-past-...

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos