Menu
Djinn100
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TIVO box

We have just got a TIVO box having previously just used coaxial cables to receive TV.

Our router and TV are in different rooms. We don't want to run a cable from the router room to the tv room. Can we connect the router to the TIVO box or the TIVO box to the TV wirelessly.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TIVO box

You can get wireless TV senders, including HDMI ones that support HD and you can get ones that will also transmit an IR signal.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

First ask yourself why you want to connect your TiVo to your router. It's not necessary for the vast majority of TiVo function. TiVo has its own internet connection which is separate from your broadband.

0 Kudos
Djinn100
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie

Yes good question. I was thinking I could use the router to transmit the TV signal to the TV but perhaps via powerline; too optimistic?

I see from the diagram that the fibre optic cable splits before it goes to the router so one cable goes from the wall (incoming signal) to router and the other from wall to TIVO. The router and the incoming signal are in the same room.

Option 1 I can connect the signal to the TIVO box in the same room but I still then have to get the signal to the TV without a cable and if the TIVO and the TV are not in the same room I would have trouble changing channels.

Option 2, following the inference of your question, I want to take the signal from where it comes in at the wall and transmit it wirelessly through the house to the TIVO box and thence tot he TV. Can this be done and if so how?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah, I've misunderstood.

Was the TiVo QuickStart, as a previous broadband customer?

The best solution in that case would have been to arrange an engineer install to create a new cable connection point in the room with the TV to install the TiVo there.

0 Kudos
Djinn100
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes we were and are a broadband customer 

You are right from the point of view of benefiting from the extra TIVO channels the best solution is to install a cable but we do not want a cable running through the house and if a cable is required to receive the extra channels we will choose not to have the cable, the TIVO or the channels.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can get wireless TV senders, including HDMI ones that support HD and you can get ones that will also transmit an IR signal.

0 Kudos
Djinn100
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks everyone for your advice. I tried a TV sender / receiver but it didn't really work. The picture quality was poor, to get any signal the receiver had to be out in the corridor and we couldn't change the channel without going in the other room, so I took it back and decided to live without the extra TV.

0 Kudos