Menu
Cheekypickle69
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Swap V+HD multi room box for TiVo box

I have a V+HD box in my daughters bedroom and a TiVo box in the living room. My daughter has taken to watching Netflix (on the living room box) so a couple of days ago I tried putting Netflix on her V+HD box but it wouldn't work and printed along the bottom of the screen is 'TiVo needed to play Netflix'. So anyway, I bought a 2nd hand TiVo box today and installed it (yes! Correctly!) but it's saying 2 things.....
1. It's not been connected for more than 30 days so I need to reconnect it. When I try to connect it says it's not connected to the network?
And
2. Saying something about my card not being valid and to call to have it activated
Please can someone tell me if this TiVo box can be connected (paired up) to work without some kind of silly fee? Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Swap V+HD multi room box for TiVo box

You have wasted your money. This TiVo still belongs to Virgin Media and you should give it back to whoever sold you it and ask for your money back. It cannot be made to work.

Cheekypickle69
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I'm not intending on driving all the way back with it though or wasting money mailing it back - think I've wasted enough money!!

As I've (in effect) done VM job for them in collecting an unused TiVo box from (possibly) a previous customer, do you think they might swap it for a working TiVo Box that's registered to me? As I could also return my V+HD box at the same time meaning they would get 2 boxes back for 1 TiVo box - I wouldn't care if it was a re-furbed TiVo, as it would still work and enable my daughter to watch Netflix 😊
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hopefully Virgin Media will charge the criminal who supplied the box to you the full charge for non-return of rented equipment and set the debt collectors on them.

0 Kudos
Cheekypickle69
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well perhaps it's not all the customers fault? From experience, Virgin don't ask you to return their equipment and so customers possibly are unaware that they need to return them. I was with Virgin a number of years ago before having to change to another provider (due to VM being unavailable in new area) when I left, they didn't ask for the equipment back and I still have one of the boxes nearly 6yrs on!! (Gave the other to my friend who's box had broken). So again, not aware the equipment still belongs to VM - until now!! Plus why are VM not addressing this with eBay and the like?? Feel a bit like I have stolen goods now!! VM should make customers more aware - I'm a current VM customer and a fairly new one at that, and I wasn't aware that the equipment belongs to VM no matter how long you're with them.

Well, unless a VM representative messages me on here, I guess I'll have to call them to discuss what I do with this now 'illegally' purchased box and find out if they will upgrade my legit V+HD box free. If not, might have to go android or something? I dunno?

Thanks though
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cheekypickle69,

Thanks for your post and I'm really sorry to hear you've gone down the route of buying 2nd hand equipment. 

As you've already notices, second hand equipment won't work on another person's account. This is because the equipment is tied to an account via it's MAC address. 

If you've bought it via Ebay then there is a good chance you can get your money back. Open a case with Ebay and advise them of the circumstances. More often that not, they ask you to post it back to the seller and once this is done they give you a full refund. 

If TiVo® is something you want then you can speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. They can check the account to see how much it is to upgrade. You may even find it's cheaper than buying the second hand TiVo® Smiley Happy

Come back and let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Cheekypickle69
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

Thanks for your reply. I bought it via Shpock so doubt there's any chance of getting my money back 😔

I don't understand how customers can be so unaware that the equipment should be returned to Virgin and certainly should not be sold. I'm also very surprised that Virgin are not doing more to stop second hand sales, especially those being made on EBay.

I'm a fairly new customer and as part of my package I received 1 TiVo box and a free V+HD box so I'm sure the price of upgrading the V+HD would be very high and certainly not free 😔

If you could sort this out for me as a freebie, I'd be very grateful and would be happy to return my V+HD box and the 2nd hand TiVo Box I have unwittingly collected on virgins behalf.

Other than that, I might just purchase an android box or two and do away with Virgin.

Tbh, I don't understand why the V+HD box can't be enabled to allow Netflix to be viewed?? It should have the technology within it surely??

Many Thanks
Deb
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cheekypickle69 wrote:

I don't understand how customers can be so unaware that the equipment should be returned to Virgin and certainly should not be sold. I'm also very surprised that Virgin are not doing more to stop second hand sales, especially those being made on EBay.

I'm a fairly new customer and as part of my package I received 1 TiVo box and a free V+HD box so I'm sure the price of upgrading the V+HD would be very high and certainly not free 😔  If you could sort this out for me as a freebie, I'd be very grateful and would be happy to return my V+HD box and the 2nd hand TiVo Box I have unwittingly collected on virgins behalf.

Other than that, I might just purchase an android box or two and do away with Virgin.

Tbh, I don't understand why the V+HD box can't be enabled to allow Netflix to be viewed?? It should have the technology within it surely??

Many Thanks
Deb

I think most customers are aware the equipment is Virgin's.  However as they never come and collect it, there are people who just sell it.  Not really sure what Virgin can do to monitor sales like this. wouldn't be cost effective and why would they?

I would be surprised if the V+HD box is free.  Mine was costing £11.50/month until I went down to the VHD box for £6.50/month.  Now Tivo is only £7.50/month for an additional box I will ask to swap it.  Definitely worth £1/month to have recording.  I doubt it will be a freebie.  And I don't really think you are doing anything on Virgin's behalf, I have seen virgin boxes stripped of hard drives and left at the dump.

The V+HD box is pretty old, so a lot of things like Netflix were never built in. 

0 Kudos