Menu
Coop1878
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Surround sound sky movies

Have just moved over from sky. Have the movie HD channels and can't seem to get the sound in 5.1 on my home cinema system. Can anyone help me it's driving me crazy. Had no problems at all with sky.
0 Kudos
Coop1878
Joining in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

parental control

Keeps asking me for a passcode everytime I go on a movie channel before 8pm. Driving me crazy. How do I stop this?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: parental control

How are you connecting to your home cinema system? Via HDMI passthrough or via Optical?

In regards to the PIN, it's an OFCOM requirement that Sky Cinema channels are PIN protected where the content is shown outside the watershed for it's rating for both live channels and recordings for Sky Cinema. It is the same for Sky's service, although the behaviour may be slightly different.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Coop1878
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Currently with an optical cable. I've noticed when you press 'info" on the remote it doesn't even specify what sound is available. When you go to the audio on the left hand side it just says English Dolby digital. Should that be 5.1 ?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TiVo only shows 'Dolby Digital' as some HD channels with DD actually only have DD 2.0, rather than 5.1.

I'd check in Help & Settings > Settings > Audio that the correct setting for your audio system is selected.

As long as your audio system is saying it's getting a DD signal, then it's down to the channel and programme as to whether it's DD 2.0 or 5.1.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Coop1878 wrote:
Keeps asking me for a passcode everytime I go on a movie channel before 8pm. Driving me crazy. How do I stop this?

You can't. It is a restriction that has been imposed on Sky & any third party that takes their movie channels by OFCOM. It is a condition of showing movies outside of the normal watershed restrictions that PIN restrictions must be "locked on" irrespective of the setting the customer has on their box.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Coop1878
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Having had sky movies for years I know those channels have 5.1 audio. Why I was so surprised when I have moved over.
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Surround sound sky movies

Hi connect optical from amp direct to tv, you are connected from tivo to tv via hdmi so it will just take a different route. If your tv doesn't optical, think about buying a slightly higher spec next time. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Coop1878
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Surround sound sky movies

Sorted Mick , thanks mate. You may not know but worth a shot , I also have a PS4. This has an optical output but my TV only has one optical & as you suggested is now going TV to amplifier. So my PS4 is not in 5.1 as I know it should. Drives me nuts. Any ideas ?
0 Kudos