Menu
1bellb
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Suggestion - BBC TV Licence

I can't find any real way to contact Virgin with this, so thought here would be good in hopes that someone from Virgin will see it Smiley Happy

So, I don't know about you, but I don't watch anything on the BBC anymore.  It just doesn't have anything for me.  Yet I'm still forced to pay this ridiculous cost of a TV licence.

To fix this. I thought it could be possible for Virgin Media to offer an "Opt Out" option for BBC channels.  If you opt out, Virgin could block you from being able to receive BBC channels though your virgin media service, which then means you would no longer have to pay for a TV licence as you are unable to receive the channels.

Virgin could even charge an extra £5 or something to do this.  I know I'd opt out of having to pay £140+ for channels I don't watch at the cost of £5, or even £10 etc...

What do you all think?, Would you opt-out if you had the chance?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Suggestion - BBC TV Licence

The TV Licence is required where you use TV kit and watch live TV broadcasts.It's not specific to whether you watch BBC live channels or not

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

• watch or record live TV programmes on any channel (including BBC)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand.

This applies to any provider you use and any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
1bellb
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ah okay, sorry. I always thought the TV licence was for BBC channels only.
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

You don’t need to buy a TV licence if you only use your TV to watch DVDs, or you purely use non-BBC on-demand services such as Netflix, the ITV Hub or All 4. But no company be it virgin, sky or bt would have a package that had the latter only. not commercially viable.

0 Kudos