Menu
spritley
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

( Staff reply needed ) Recycle Vbox and personal information?

Apparently Virginmedia are telling some customers to take their old Vbox to an electronic recycling centre instead of returning it.

Does the old Vbox hardisk or smartcard contain any personal Virginmedia account information?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ( Staff reply needed ) Recycle Vbox and personal information?

Cut the smart card through the chip - that takes care of that, and no, no user information is on a disk

Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there spritley, 

Thank you so much for making this post. The Vbox is no longer required to be returned, so the agent was perfectly correct in advising to take the box to your local recycling centre. (I actually took an old VBox to my local recycling plant yesterday). 

The VBox contains no personal information, however if you really wish to be totally secure, just do as Andyju states and cut the SmartCard through the chip. 

Should this be a VHD box, a V+ box or a TiVo® then it may be required to be returned. If you're unsure please just send me a Private Message with the serial number and I can check on this for you. 

Cheers. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

All Replies
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Cut the smart card through the chip - that takes care of that, and no, no user information is on a disk

spritley
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I was looking for an official response from one of the Staff.

Thanks though andyju

0 Kudos
spritley
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Bump

The Mods are active answering threads so i don't understand why something as important as security of personal information would be ignored?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there spritley, 

Thank you so much for making this post. The Vbox is no longer required to be returned, so the agent was perfectly correct in advising to take the box to your local recycling centre. (I actually took an old VBox to my local recycling plant yesterday). 

The VBox contains no personal information, however if you really wish to be totally secure, just do as Andyju states and cut the SmartCard through the chip. 

Should this be a VHD box, a V+ box or a TiVo® then it may be required to be returned. If you're unsure please just send me a Private Message with the serial number and I can check on this for you. 

Cheers. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

spritley
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Perfect , Thanks both. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
spritley
Dialled in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos