Menu
bigalWAN
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So there are two channels now that we won't get then, Encore and Atlantic? Where's our exclusive?

Hi to all,

If virgin media are going to continue to let their loyal customers miss out on new entertainment could they not have the good grace to remove the Sky adverts for the new programs?  I just saw the new Frankenstein ad and thought it would be a good watch, only to be saddened that it is Sky only!

Its like when you were a child and someone showed you a bag of sweets then said they were NOT for you.

Al

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: So there are two channels now that we won't get then, Encore and Atlantic? Where's our exclusive?

If you have been around that long, as I have, you will remember Virgin did have its own channel, Virgin One. They ended up having to sell it to Sky pay off mounting debts. It allowed them to re-aquire the Sky channels they famously dropped in the dispute with Sky overcharging for its basics channels. I cant see Virgin ever having exclusive channels. Cable coverage of less than 50% of UK homes passed compared to Sky's 99.8% reach is not a good pull in terms of advertisers, so broadcasters will always pitch toward Sky. Virgin's overheads will also always be higher. Sky has no network to maintain, & the satellites are someone elses problem. They can afford to put money into programming, have their cake & eat it. Its a luxury Virgin cant afford.

As for channel parity between platforms, forget it. OFCOM & the powers that oversee them insist the TV platforms compete with eachother. To do so they have to offer something different to eachother anyway.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: So there are two channels now that we won't get then, Encore and Atlantic? Where's our exclusive?

Sky has every right to advertise its own content on its own channels, & why shouldn't it. Virgin can & do buy advertising space on channels that Sky customers see. I don't see what the problem is.

Virgin has not the facilities, or indeed any agreement from the broadcasters to change the content of the channels they provide.

ITV encore is under an exclusivity agreement with Sky, which may run out next year. Sky refuses to wholesale Sky Atlantic, so its not Virgins fault you cant get it.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
bigalWAN
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So are we ever going to get our own Virgin channel/s that will make people WANT to have the Virgin experience? Something for us customers?

Maybe a better question for someone else though as you don't see what the problem is? You maybe missed all the hype for things you won't get or maybe you don't LIKE new shows and programming? It takes all sorts.

Al
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If these channels are important to you then you know what to do. You have a choice.

Personally for me, I don't want or need these channels as there are plenty for me without them.

0 Kudos
bigalWAN
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is anyone who isn't on the Virgin board of directors going to join in here? Surely there must be more than me who wants to experience new things but has stayed LOYAL to Virgin - even before it was Virgin in fact.

If people just sit back and say nothing then we will inevitably end up worse off in some way.

Believe me I am not anti-Virgin, in fact I have been more than happy with my phones and broadband which is actually faster than I need and way better than the other providers that claim to use similar technology like fibre-optic and then send it through an aging twisted pair of wires that cannot possibly cope. Virgin have proved and re-proved many times that they HAVE got the best tech!

What I want is Virgin to fight back! Broadcast something that the great Sky God does not and see how long it is before we all get equal channels.

Al
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have been around that long, as I have, you will remember Virgin did have its own channel, Virgin One. They ended up having to sell it to Sky pay off mounting debts. It allowed them to re-aquire the Sky channels they famously dropped in the dispute with Sky overcharging for its basics channels. I cant see Virgin ever having exclusive channels. Cable coverage of less than 50% of UK homes passed compared to Sky's 99.8% reach is not a good pull in terms of advertisers, so broadcasters will always pitch toward Sky. Virgin's overheads will also always be higher. Sky has no network to maintain, & the satellites are someone elses problem. They can afford to put money into programming, have their cake & eat it. Its a luxury Virgin cant afford.

As for channel parity between platforms, forget it. OFCOM & the powers that oversee them insist the TV platforms compete with eachother. To do so they have to offer something different to eachother anyway.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't think Sky has the right as you describe, given that the service is part of a utility and you can't have two . So I have the choice of one or the other but not both. It is lunacy to expect people to have cable and satellite.
0 Kudos
bigalWAN
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd, that's a good answer.

You have informed me of a lot I didn't know and cleared up the reasons for my whinge. There is always more to things than people realise and your info should answer a lot of peoples questions.

Thanks, Al
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

machineghost wrote:
I don't think Sky has the right as you describe, given that the service is part of a utility and you can't have two . So I have the choice of one or the other but not both. It is lunacy to expect people to have cable and satellite.

Rights have nothing to do with it. Sky can sell output to who they like, & charge what they like (although Sky Sports 1 & 2 prices are currently capped, OFCOM are considering withdrawing this). They can & do offer incentives to broadcaters to go exclusive with them. OFCOM has held several inquiries into their practices, including withholding the Sky Sports channels from BT TV customers when BT won Premiership football coverage. In every case these actions have not been ruled anti-competitive.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos