Menu
lostsoul
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So long virgin tv...

We've had many many years together but today i had to say goodbye to you, i simply couldn't afford to keep you, i will admit im slightly devastated at losing my catch up and tv on demand but i had no choice i had to let you go. You see the government have decided that almost everyone who claims to have a disability doesn't really have one, even those of us who were born with these things, they have decided we don't need help that we can all just get along just fine without any money and i had the choice of paying for my medication or paying for my tv...i have debated this for days but finally the medication won. I was paying almos £70 before and now with just BB and phone line  (which are my links to the outside world) im down to just under £30, I spoke to a lovely man called Kyle who has arranged for the disconnection of my beloved tv box and now without it im almost £40 a month better off...shame my medication costs me more than that, He did say if he could find a way for me to get it cheaper and keep my tv box just for catch up tv he would have but i wasn't sure i could afford the extra £11 that would have cost me after the first 6 months...so there you go, you were called telewest when we first met and it was love at first sight, you have kept me company for many years and we've shared so much much laughter and so many tears, i will be sad to see you go...

Tags (2)
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: So long virgin tv...

Why have they removed the TV box?

If you have a Landline on the account, the TV M package is FREE. This allows you access to all the catch-up services connected to that package. You may have to downgrade to a VHD box to avoid a rental charge for the recording features of a TiVO box, but I would be wangleing to get this removed also, as you are keeping the other 2 services. Ring up Retentions again & do a bit of haggling.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
lostsoul
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i was never told this and i've never had a tivo box,i only got my first hd box last year and just have the one box...i've already cancelled now is there anything i can do, i was told without tv my BB and phone line would be £27.99 with just the feeview channels and catch up on the box it would be £33.99 and then raise to £38.99

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to call  on the packaging guru in to see if he will contribute

@BenMcr

Got any thoughts on this. I'm pretty sure I'm right.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Since November last year, all core customer packages including TV now require TiVo. This applies whether you're speaking to Customer Services or Customer Relations as far as I'm aware.

This means that if you already have TiVo, you cannot downgrade to a V HD box to save the TiVo fee, nor can the TiVo fee be removed from the account whilst keeping the TiVo STB.

It also means that if you don't have one, any change to your core bundle will require you to take one. If you only have a V box of any description it would be replaced by a TiVo box, even if you're reducing your core TV package.

For the most part customers who only have V boxes and aren't making a core change, such as adding (or removing) Premium channels such as Sky Sports and Movies, are going for the broadband speed boost opt in which only changes the broadband tier (available only for customers with broadband before the 24th November 2015), or are changing their home phone talk plan aren't currently required to also take TiVo - unless the change does form part of your core bundle (for instance the old VIP bundles).

In regard to the pricing, the lowest standard package available that includes TV (and TiVo) is the Big Easy http://store.virginmedia.com/big-bundles/big-easy.html at £41.99 a month for TV M, 50Mb broadband and Phone M. It's not mentioned above what Broadband and Phone package was selected as part of the continuing services.

Whether Customer Relations can or what options they have to reduce the Big Easy further for any period of time I can't say, as I'm not aware of their current pricing options.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
lostsoul
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have phoned again and have been told the best offer i can get ( which isnt too bad actually) is a tivo box for free, no installation, no £5 extra a month and the tv M package and this will be £33.99 for 6 months and then £36.99 i didnt give an yes or no as i wanted to see what the M package consists of first, it looks pretty much the same as freeview which i have build into my tv but never used ...i did say that i was told that i'd read that the tv M package was free with a landline but they said that wasnt right...im not complaining about the man he was very helpful and put up with my rambling!!  It seems like such a small amount of money but i dont want to pay more when i know there could be problems with me paying extra few pounds in the future so sadly it looks as though i will be going ahead with the disconnection...on a side note  Does anyone know if this means i will get catch up tv on the M package? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

lostsoul wrote:

Does anyone know if this means i will get catch up tv on the M package? 

TV M does include Catch up services, but it doesn't have any other inclusive On Demand. For that you would have to subscribe to More TV or above.

However TiVo does come with the full iPlayer service, so there is more BBC content available via TiVo compared with your previous Virgin TV box.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response Ben.

At least the OP now has all the info to make the right decision for them.

SU1617jpeg.jpg