Menu
darkstar22
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Smart TV, less smart DVD, V+ box......

Hi,

I have a Samsung smart TV, connected wirelessly to my Virgin superhub to access its smart functions, and via HDMI to my V+ box.  I have now acquired a less-smart Sony Blu-Ray DVD player, connected via HDMI to the TV - less-smart in that it needs to connect to the Internet to access updates and its few smart functions; but it doesn't allow wireless connection - it needs an ethernet cable to connect to the Internet.

My question is:  what are my options for connecting this ethernet cable?  The V+ box has an ethernet socket; but looking online, this has in the past been disabled - is it still?  And if not, will just connecting the ethernet cable to this socket do the trick?  If this isn't an option - can I just run a long ethernet cable to the superhub and plug it into one of the three sockets I see near its base, and connect it that way?  (Still a learner on these matters.)

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Smart TV, less smart DVD, V+ box......

V+ No.

Long Ethernet cable Yes.

Powerline adapters Yes.

Universal wifi adapter, e.g. Netgear WNCE2001 Yes

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

V+ No.

Long Ethernet cable Yes.

Powerline adapters Yes.

Universal wifi adapter, e.g. Netgear WNCE2001 Yes

darkstar22
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that - suspected the V+ answer was too simple (sigh).  Must get a long ethernet cable.

Not familiar with either of the other two solutions (techy education at a relatively early stage); but I'll have a Google.

0 Kudos