Menu
rockit99
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Slow menus, VERY slow access to iPlayer

It's becoming stressful. The search function in the menus is just awful (I'm picking on search in particular, the menu system as a whole is dreadful). Depending on which 'search' section you use you either get the single first letter selection, from which you then get a MASSIVE list of stuff, dozens of entries of the same programme (different editions) and scrolling through these... well, tectonic plates move faster. I tried searching for 'Countryfile' - I lost the will to live. I tried the other search function, entering the letters to build the name. This is somewhat quicker and easier BUT sometimes the desired programme doesn't appear in that section!

I see from earlier posts that the menuing system is unlikely to be updated anytime soon. But I think I'll be dead soon, waiting for the menus to appear... 

Tip: Can't several episodes of a programme be put into a folder in the list? It would massively cut down the scrolling time!

Can I say something about iPlayer? (Did I hear a collective groan?) What is the point of iPlayer on Virgin TV? Accessing it (or even exiting!) is SOOOOOOO slow. And then there's the little thing of pausing the programme, say for a few minutes, maybe 5, then restarting it and... buffering.... And then it never starts, you have to quit watching the show, find it in iPlayer again  (it doesn't remember where you are!) and restart viewing. 

I realise iPlayer itself is courtesy of the BBC but when I use on my computer I have nothing like those kind of problems, so it must be down to Virgin.

Or is there a problem with the box?

Our download speed is around 55Mbps, upload about 3Mbps, ping 25ms. So what's the problem?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slow menus, VERY slow access to iPlayer

Hi rockit99,

A warm welcome to the community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a slow experience navigating the menus on the TiVo®.  I'd like to help check this out for you to see if there's any underlying problems that may be causing any slow performance issues with menu navigation or App problems.

I have not had any luck in locating your account, I shall send you a private message requesting further details.  Look for the envelope icon above.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
JEGDAVIES
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Fellow new TiVo user here.  I find the menus very slow and rather cumbersome too, and the on demand stuff particularly slow, with loading screens and pauses.  I'm wavering as to whether to make use of my cooling-off rights, as I don't know if I can take 12 months of this. 

I would say that VM broadband has always been excellent (had that for many years) and customer service has been generally good so far.  But the TV product is really disappointing for someone used to Sky. 

rockit99
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes the broadband has been good, in spite of Virgin's best efforts to cripple it!

One thing I've had to do is set the hub as 'Modem Only' mode and feed a decent wifi router which can actually cover the whole house and doesn't drop out several times a day. Haven't had a bit of trouble since doing this 7-8 months ago.

What I don't understand is why iPlayer is 10 times faster on our computers when the TV is using the same connection.

And I just don't want all these 'Suggested viewing' options cluttering up the screen. Can't we have a 'simple' mode with just programme data?

Grrr..,
0 Kudos