Menu
ilkleymariner
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports TV - new package

Hi

I have the sky sports package with Virgin, but have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in the Premier League or European Champions League. I like Cricket/Golf/Rugby League and English Football League Soccer.

There must be MILLIONS of sports enthusiasts who are not taking the sports package because of the ridiculous costs and wages of Premier League teams.

Could Virgin please provide a lower cost option for those sports fans who disapprove of the English Premier League. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports TV - new package

You'll be lucky. These are wholesale premium sports channels, which means Sky control the content, & also set the bundling options & prices. The margin Virgin get from premium channels is almost non-existant. Unless Sky makes any changes, you are stuck with things the way they are.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
CiaranL
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Alas this really isn't in Virgin's hands. European Champions League and UEFA cup are in the hands of BT Sport.

The Premiership and Football League are in the hands of SKY. I'm a football fan, but I stopped taking the sports package years ago because I don't see it as good value for money and I think the wages football players get is obscene.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

ilkleymariner wrote:

Hi

I have the sky sports package with Virgin, but have ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in the Premier League or European Champions League. I like Cricket/Golf/Rugby League and English Football League Soccer.

There must be MILLIONS of sports enthusiasts who are not taking the sports package because of the ridiculous costs and wages of Premier League teams.

Could Virgin please provide a lower cost option for those sports fans who disapprove of the English Premier League. 

You could try Now TV and TV Player.  With Now TV you can just watch a day or week (handy for test cricket and golf) and with TV Player you get Eurosport for £5/month (handy for tennis tournaments).  No contract commitment.  Also there is the Sky Sports Mix channel which is included in the basic packages (M+) which has some pretty good stuff, well it did weekend before last with the GAA final and the international football.  BT Sport is tricky as there aren't any easy ways of getting it, but they did have a rugby union match gratis on BT showcase this weekend and two European matches on Wednesday and Thursday night.

There is plenty of sport to watch without succumbing to a fully fledged sports subscription.  Plenty of highlights on Channel 5 of the football league and all the goals free on http://www.skysports.com/efl.  Likewise the cricket and golf, so out for the day and watch the highlights.

Ultimately you may disapprove of the Premier League, but without it I doubt Sky could generate enough revenue to make sport channels worthwhile.  I don't know the numbers, but channels like Premier Sports probably have a very small subscriber base and rely on buying in foreign broadcasts.  As for BT, their rationale is very puzzling, it's almost as if they have the cash burning a hole in their pocket.  

0 Kudos