Menu
steviedm
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports News

I'm confused so would welcome a definitive response to this.

I've been with Virgin Media for 12 years and have always subscribed to Sky Sports. About a year ago, I reduced my TV package to M from XL as I watch barely any of the channels and I separately subscribed to BT Sport at a cost cheaper than XL.

One unanticipated consequence was the loss of Sky Sports News, which I discovered appeared not to be part of the Sky Sports Collection (why on earth not?). This was a major loss to me. Since then, I have been accessing SSN via a Now TV box as it is a free app if you buy a pass and I have been buying the Sky Movies pass monthly at £9.99.

When browsing the Virgin website recently, I saw an upgrade that included Sky Sports (with SSN as one of the listed channels) and Sky Movies for just £7.50 more per month. A no brainer for me as this is cheaper than my Now TV Sky Movies pass. Movies are a bonus but my eye was drawn by the Sky Sports News logo.

So I have just upgraded, got the Movie channels....but no Sky Sports News. I have a screenshot of the website saying SSN is part of this deal and this link says SSN is part of the Sky Sports Collection: http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv/channels/sky-sports.html

So is it or isn't it? Why haven't I been getting it when all Virgin marketing says it is part of the Sky Sports Collection package? I may just go to Sky instead as this is driving me mad - it's not a particularly premium channel but one I happen to watch a lot. I pay around £40 a month to access Sky Sports channels, so why don't I get this one?! Why does some literature say it's part of the Sky Sports Collection when I don't think it is, or wasn't, or something. 

I'd be grateful for some clarity.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports News

Sky Sports News HQ is available on all Virgins channel packs excluding M (now called Player TV). It is not a premium channel, & has never been part of the Sky Sports collection. The HD version of the channel is only available on XL (now called Full House TV).

The page you have linked too is also correct, as you have to take at least More TV or M+ TV to subscribe to the Sky Sports Collection. The Sky Movies deal you have been offered is a limited promotion.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
steviedm
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Sports News

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure you know what you're talking about, but you raise some questions.

Why can I subscribe to Sky Sports if I am on M and not a higher package? 

If Sky Sports News has never been part of the Sky Sports Collection, why does the Virgin website say this:

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 19.58.50.png

I'd suggest the Advertising Standards Authority may have something to say about misleading advertising if what you say is correct. This appears on my upgrades page and is why I added the Sky Movies package yesterday as it implied I'd get SSN too. If you're going to tell me the reason SSN appears on that picture is because you have to be on a higher package than M to subscribe to the Sky Sports Collection this patently isn't true as I am subscribed to Sky Sports Collection and AM NOT on a package higher than M. This appears on my upgrades page on the website so I'm basically being misled. It's basically a mess, which is why moving to Sky is more appealing by the day.