Menu
pjgraham86
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports HD Charges

I must say i find it irritating that we have to pay an additional £7 per month to receive the Sky Sport HD channels from VM.  Of all the programmes that you would want in HD, sports are the main ones I'd think for most folk. 

I've been a VM customer for about 12 years and for most of that time have had the most expensive TV package, as well as broadband and phone rental.

I'm sure VM would simply say they are passing on charges that Sky levy on them for providing the HD content but nonetheless.....

Just a thought, has anyone successfully persuaded VM to include SS HD as a freebie - as part of a retention deal maybe ?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sky Sports HD Charges

Not a chance, for the very reason you mention - prices dictated by Sky.

That's why there's no negotiation on the price of Sky Sports or Movies bundles.

As you quite correctly surmise, the sports channels are the ones you'd want in HD. As such Sky are exercising their understanding of supply & demand and charging people for it.

Not intended to be a flippant response, but unfortunately you answered your own question.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not a chance, for the very reason you mention - prices dictated by Sky.

That's why there's no negotiation on the price of Sky Sports or Movies bundles.

As you quite correctly surmise, the sports channels are the ones you'd want in HD. As such Sky are exercising their understanding of supply & demand and charging people for it.

Not intended to be a flippant response, but unfortunately you answered your own question.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I very much agree,we pay enough for services provided by VM,especially on the XL package and sky sports. Surely with all the money we pay every year,which is a lot,surely VM can do something for their long term customers as a loyalty or retention as mentioned previously
0 Kudos
pjgraham86
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yup I think I did indeed answer my own question ! 

At least I got it off my chest (!) - and I will ask Retentions the question when I next take the hump and explore moving away from VM.  Even if they offered me (say) 6 months of SS HD it would be better than nothing......

PJG

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Pjd- please let me know if you get a positive response,my guess is that won't happen but if you don't ask you don't get
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

anthony_b wrote:
I very much agree,we pay enough for services provided by VM,especially on the XL package and sky sports. Surely with all the money we pay every year,which is a lot,surely VM can do something for their long term customers as a loyalty or retention as mentioned previously

I'm sure we all would like this, but we are talking about Sky Premiums here, which is a wholesale agreement. Sky can dictate how it's packaged as well as prices. There is no margin on the HD supplement (& very little on the SD channels), it is all passed straight back to Sky.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

We pay huge sums and with the modern era enabling HD,both virgin and sky should scrap SD and charge the same price

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

They will eventually and the price will be the then current HD (higher) charge.

0 Kudos
Xian
Well-informed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've had a quick look at this and to get Sky Sports HD with Sky it seems:

a) You have to get their most expensive package [Family]
b) You pay extra for Sky Sports
c) you pay extra AGAIN for Sports HD.

Of course you need a dish [not cheap] and box [currently free, possibly?] and pay for all maintenance.
So you choose...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

anthony_b wrote:

We pay huge sums and with the modern era enabling HD,both virgin and sky should scrap SD and charge the same price

Ah! But where do the new customers come from. There are many out there using bog standard Freeview or Freesat SD TV's. To get them to come to Sky or Virgin they can currently just have a new box fitted, pay a little more, & use their existing TV. Scrap all the SD on their platforms & potential customers will instead have to pay a large increase, & possibly have to change their TV as well. Not a good marketing tactic, until Freeview HD eventually becomes the norm.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos