Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sky Movies to rebrand and HD charge scrapped

It has been announced on Techradar that Sky Movies will shortly rebrand as Sky Cinema. This will coincide with scrapping of the HD supplement on all platforms. However, if you subscribe to Sky Sports as well don't get too excited, as the HD supplement remains for Sky Sports, or Sports & Movies combined.

http://www.techradar.com/news/home-cinema/credits-roll-on-sky-movies-as-sky-cinema-is-born-1323419

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Movies to rebrand & HD charge scrapped

Launches Friday 8th July.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What will happen tomorrow?   Will all the sky HD channels suddenly be available?  Will there be more films on demand?

0 Kudos
marsboy
Up to speed
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have just been on the phone to virgin as today happens to be my billing date. I was charged for the HD pack (and i do not have sky sports). 

I spoke to someone on the online chat, who stated that virgin have no information about how the HD changes on sky cinema will affect them. He then cut me off the chat. I called virgin who confirmed that if you pay for Movies in HD and dont have sky sports, you will get this refunded on your next bill. If you are on SD movies HD will come available. 

I think virgin have been pretty bad at letting us know how this affects us, I have received no email (and I do get the bills), no letter or no popup on my tivo like normal. I think that this is virgins biggest flaw - their customer communication is the worst! Doesn't take a lot to put what I just wrote up there in a email or on the tivo discovery bar, or even a message to the tivo box. 

The only mention to it is a new article in the My Virgin Media which doesn't even mention the HD changes, infact it hints towards it still being there, so I dont think virgin even read their town T&C they put at the bottom: 

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/sky-cinema.html

"You must subscribe to Sky Cinema in SD to take these channels in HD."

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have see a post from another customer who has been told the HD charge will remain until 1st August.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think this is another cue for me to call them about the Sky Movies/Cinema HD films On Demand offering.
I've had no reasonable explanation why their service has depleted so much this year and now Sky are going to offer more films (a new premiere each day) then it is only going to get worse.

I'm surprised there only seems to be me bothered about this on here.

This charge will not affect me as unfortunately I also have Sky Sports HD.
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BinghamBloke wrote:
I think this is another cue for me to call them about the Sky Movies/Cinema HD films On Demand offering.
I've had no reasonable explanation why their service has depleted so much this year and now Sky are going to offer more films (a new premiere each day) then it is only going to get worse.

I'm surprised there only seems to be me bothered about this on here.

Depleted in what way?  As far as I can tell pretty much all the movies are available on demand.  I know there are some that don't appear, but much of that is licensing as the same situation exists with Now TV.  Once of twice there has been a movie not available (e.g. Far From The Madding Crowd was only in HD and not in SD - I don't pay for HD), but I just set Tivo to record them.

0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Last year every film was available in HD and SD. If I happened to find a film that was not in HD I could call and they would get it sorted. That was only ever on a couple of occasions.

Now I have been told by staff that they will all be in SD but for HD they will only be on there for 30 days from new. So Spectre was new on Friday and is available through on demand for both SD and HD. 31 days later only the SD will be available.
I was told back at the start of this year this was for a temporary time due to some testing behind the scenes.

I know you say I can record it if I want but typically our box is bordering on full and if I get the opportunity to watch a film with the wife we tend to just have a look what there is a pick one. I have always picked from the HD section so that is how come I could see it was about 20% of the size it was before.
Yes SD is there but I have a HD box, HD tv and pay a HD premium for then they should be there like they were last year.
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

BinghamBloke wrote:
Now I have been told by staff that they will all be in SD but for HD they will only be on there for 30 days from new. So Spectre was new on Friday and is available through on demand for both SD and HD. 31 days later only the SD will be available.

Just 30 days?   Given HD is coming for all on 1st August that seems strange.  I tend to record SD rather than HD because of capacity, but it doesn't stop the odd HD recording slipping in and clearing out a big chunk of previously recorded shows. I am hoping SD Sky Cinema is still around so I can record them.  HD makes little odds on my 32" TV, so not an issue.

0 Kudos