Menu
person4659
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sky Movies HD changes - will our bill reflect that?

So Sky are changing Sky Movies and it's format, including removing it's Sky Movies HD subscription fee, and including it as standard with Sky Movies. Currently we pay about £40 for the Sky Premium HD package, which is the Sky movies channels and Sky Sports channels in HD. With this new change to Sky Movies, I'd expect to see at-least half of that price knocked off.

Will we see a price decrease??

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Movies HD changes - will our bill reflect that?

Hi where are you getting this information from please. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Among other places, here's one weblink - http://www.techradar.com/news/home-cinema/credits-roll-on-sky-movies-as-sky-cinema-is-born-1323419

Unfortunately, I don't see package prices changing - Sky choose to include HD as standard in the Movies package and Virgin will pass that on, great. Sky charge for HD on the sports package, Virgin pass that on. As a subscriber to both, I don't like it either - but it's the way it goes I fear.

Of course, VM may say differently but that's how I'd read the situation.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

person4659 wrote:

Will we see a price decrease?

I doubt it.  Sky have also slashed the price of the movies for the next six months...

Flash sale - add Sky Movies was £18 now £6 extra a monthfor six months

Can't imagine getting the same deal from Virgin.

Also the HD isn't necessarily across the board and seems specific to the Sky transmission

A new premiere every day
A brand new film, never seen before on the TV, will be available every single day on the Sky Cinema channels 

The latest blockbusters closer to cinema release than any other subscription services
We know how important it is to see the latest box office hits, so we’re giving you more of the latest blockbusters closer to cinema release than Netflix, Amazon Prime and all the others.

Over 1100 movies on demand
We’ve bumped up how many movies you can get on demand, so there’s always something to watch, whenever you like.

New improved HD with sound closer to cinema
We’ve improved our systems to make sure that you never lose a pixel of quality. Sky has moved to a new format for our movie master files, giving us a third more pixels (2m vs 1.5m) and 4 times the number of colour shades (1024 vs 256 for each primary colour). This means sharper and more vibrant pictures for a better viewing experience.

Our new improved HD gives you a crisper picture than ever before. This isn’t Ultra HD or 4k so you don’t need to buy a new TV – just sit back and enjoy.

Our movies sound is closer to cinema – we’ve increased the audio dynamic range to give you louder explosions and quieter whispers, so that it is more like when you’re in the cinema. Again there is no need to make any adjustments to your TV.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

person4659 wrote:

So Sky are changing Sky Movies and it's format, including removing it's Sky Movies HD subscription fee, and including it as standard with Sky Movies. Currently we pay about £40 for the Sky Premium HD package, which is the Sky movies channels and Sky Sports channels in HD. With this new change to Sky Movies, I'd expect to see at-least half of that price knocked off.

Will we see a price decrease??

Yes, you will...

https://recombu.com/digital/article/sky-movies-is-changing-with-a-new-name-and-better-picture-qualit...

Sky also re-emphasised that HD movie channels will now be free on its own platform to Cinema customers, as well as Virgin customers. This means that if you're taking movies, you won't have a supplemental "HD" fee to pay anymore.

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Arrgee - you're absolutely right in the context of customers only taking Sky Movies and currently paying the HD surcharge, that should now be included gratis. I read the original question as asking if customers taking Sports & Movies with the HD surcharge, will get a corresponding reduction. i.e. if the movies surcharge is now effectively zero, will the sports surcharge still be £7?

I guess that depends on Sky.

Semantics aside, it's definitely a move in the right direction for sure. But where (sports especially) pricing is concerned, I'd put nothing past Sky.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

japitts wrote:

.... if the movies surcharge is now effectively zero, will the sports surcharge still be £7?

I guess that depends on Sky.

Or Virgin :-)   I guess they will let everyone know in next week or two before Sky Cinema starts.  

0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi

We'll be communicating with all our Sky Movies / Sky Cinema customers before these HD changes take affect.

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide