Menu
duts
Joining in
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Set top box stuck on update

Hi

My Virgin Media set top box is stuck on a screen stating "Important Please do not switch off your set top box. We're updating your Digital TV service, which may take a few minutes. Your box will restart automatically when this is complete."

It is stuck on stage 1 of 3 and has been like this for over 24 hours.

The display o. The set top box is constantly changing and displaying different codes.

The Digital TV switchover for my area was scheduled for 7 September so I was expecting the update but surely it is not supposed to take 24 hours???? I called Virgin Media last night but nobody could give me an answer, they just put me through to a recorded message about the switchover.

If anyone can give me any helP or advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Duts
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Brian_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: Set top box stuck on update

Hi duts,

I have sent some updates to the box, Can you turn all power off to the box and then back on allowing to reboot.

Let us know if still the same.

Thanks

Brian_J
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
0 Kudos
duts
Joining in
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me. Still have the same problem. Have tried disconnecting the power (pulling the power cable out) a few times - goes straight back to the updating screen as if it has never been switched off when plugged back in...left it for 5-10 minutes just to check....

Getting very fed up now....please can you fix it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Michael_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Please refer to the private message I'll send you in a moment.

Kind Regards

Michael S

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
0 Kudos
Cirus26
Joining in
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I am getting the same problem any help? before I cancel been 3 weeks without much tv.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jamie_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cirus26

Apologies for this.

I've just sent some signals down to the box.

Could you switch off the power for a few seconds and then back on?

Regards

0 Kudos
texmarshall
Joining in
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi, just plugged box back in and it is now stuck on the installing updates screen. Tried disconnecting power several times and also removing virgin cable/smart card but no success. Can somebdoy please give me some assistance or advice on what to do next. Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlexB67
Joining in
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

This seems quite a common problem form reading around.  I had this a few weeks ago. In my case it was a result of not enough signal in sort of no tech speak.  There was far too much dropoff between the exchange and the point where the connection was to the house, in spite of several engineers upping the signal, basically the cable from the exchange to the house had to be replaced in the end to resolve it.  Unfortunately, as I had to learn the hard way.  first line support engineers cannot diagnose these cables as thoroughly as some of the more qualified 2nd /3rd line support staff,  so it took some time to resolve, bashing at Virgin before all was said and done. 

Sometimes faulty box may also be the cause.  Apart from that I was able to watch TV fine normally, but the signal quality was not good enough to push the update through to the box, hence getitng stuck on trying to push through the update .  In any case the cable that was used for the exchange to house link was below spec, with a limit of 100 m, actual distance being 110, the cable had degraded enough as a result,  and by the end it was so bad I did not even have a return loop active to the box. 

You may want to have a peek at the technical section on your HD box, and have a look of signal to noise is okay and/or see if you spot anything there.  There is even a trouble shooter on it. Have a look around the site and this forum how to diagnose the box.

The more you give them the better.

0 Kudos
jess_g
Superfast
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

texmarshall wrote:

Hi, just plugged box back in and it is now stuck on the installing updates screen. Tried disconnecting power several times and also removing virgin cable/smart card but no success. Can somebdoy please give me some assistance or advice on what to do next. Thanks.

Hi texmarshall,

apologies for the fault you are having with the box.

Could you please send me a Private Message with the Smart Card number of the box

you are having the problem with ?

Thanks  

Jess Griffiths

0 Kudos
Kieranh94
Joining in
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I'm also having this problem where I've left the box over night assuming it would update and it's staying on 1 of 3
0 Kudos