Menu
Drinksmaster
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Samsung Smart TV, Smart Remote and Virgin Media Tivo

I treated myself to a new Samsung Smart TV (6500 series) at the weekend and I was really impressed how easy it was to set up with my Tivo set top box. 

Using the Samsung Smart Remote, I can work all of the functions of the Tivo apart from returning to TV (The function from the Tivo Remote is pressing the TV button!)

Samsung Customer Services have told me it is the "Return/Exit" button on the Samsung Smart Remote but that does not work for getting you back to the TV!

So I have to keep using my Tivo Remote just to go back to TV, a bit of a pain really as all other functions work!

Any help would be much appreciated

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Samsung Smart TV, Smart Remote & Virgin Media Tivo

I've had a similar problem with my H series TV from Samsung.

Many of the STB control codes are shared between the older V boxes and TiVo so that there is the ability to use each remote with the other box if needed for any reason (broken remote, no batteries etc). However there are some TiVo specific additions and changes to the code list to cover the extra functions. For instance the addition of TiVo Thumbs, and that TiVo has a separate play and pause button on the remote, whereas the V boxes had a single button to toggle play and pause.

From what I can tell the codes that Samsung use are those for the older V boxes, and not the updated TiVo code map.

It's down to Samsung to resolve and cover the variation in their code database e.g 'Virgin Media - V boxes' and 'Virgin Media - TiVo'. Until they do this then certain buttons won't work via the Samsung universal remote function.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Drinksmaster
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the fast reply, but Samsung blame Virgin Media so really no one wants to fix the issue! So up yours customer use two remotes!
Not your fault mate but seems silly that everything else is working fine but the return to TV!
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is a voluntary forum where other people like you post problems, not virgins official websites, so if want help don't be sarcastic, people won't help you.
0 Kudos
Drinksmaster
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I was not being sarcastic, I was stating a fact that despite communications with both Virginmedia and Samsung no one wants to help the customer...if you cant be helpful in any way don't post a reply.
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I really apologise, no pun on your tag name, I had had a pint or two myself & mixed you up with another poster. Regards Micky
0 Kudos