Menu
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

SKY-Q : Death Knell for TIVO?

Just seen this review of SKY Q sky-q-review-broadcast-satellite-pay-tv

Looks like Mr Murdoch has well and truly stuffed up John Malone and Tom Mockridge. The TIVO Mk 2 is going to have to be pretty damn good to beat it  (or a lot cheaper); else the famed re-invention of VM's TV service is going to go down the swannie. Its got speed, its got style, its got features people want while the current Tardy Inefficent Virgin Offering is so slow, you need time lapse video to see the menus move, It looks like a throw back to 1980's VHS recorders and its hardware is not really up to the job as a preimium TV service offering.

So Virgin are you going to Amaze us with TIVO Mk 2 when it launches (if it ever does)  or is it going to be a damp squib, rather like this heralded update is turning out to be.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: SKY-Q : Death Knell for TIVO?

I'm sure the 1% of people with 4k tv's who subscribe to sports or movies  will be flocking to it,

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

I'm sure the 1% of people with 4k tv's who subscribe to sports or movies  will be flocking to it,

Oh Please Danny, not that old chestnut again! Don't you get tired of repeating the same thing again and again, yes, I know  4K  has a small audience at present, and that some 4K TVs will not be compatible  but that doesn't mean you can discount Sky-Q in its entirety with a glib (and well worn) comment.

Even if you discount the 4K part , the box smashes TIVO back to the stone age, I mostly  like the TIVO, had one for years, but it is old hat now and the upgrades have made it a progressively worse experience as it gets slower and slower because the hardware cant cope. TIVO Mk2 isn't a reality yet for we consumers and I was simply asking the question, is it going to be  something to really rival SKY-Q? Or are we just being fed a load of bovine excrement and we end up with a bug fixed Tivo mk1 with a few extras like new UI and Series link-plus masquerading as a new offering, while we wait for Horizon. In other words are VM really back on  game with regards to the TV service as Tom Mockridge keeps saying or is just so much blown smoke.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

is the new sky q box capable of broadcasting dolby atmos? 10 bit colour? can it do 60fps? does it do high dynamic range?

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

is the new sky q box capable of broadcasting dolby atmos? 10 bit colour? can it do 60fps? does it do high dynamic range?

Are you saying that you know the new Virgin Box will do all of the above, if so that is great news; have you a link to the specification of the new box so we all can see what it will do.

I would hate to think you are just shoving out buzz words to close down the conversation

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm simply asking if sky q is fit for purpose 

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

in other words You Are shoving out buzz words for the sake of it,

SKY-Q seems to be a lot more fit for purpose than the current TIVO and as I said before TIVO Mk 2 will need to be better than SKY-Q or come out cheaper if Tom Mockridge's plan to reverse Virgin's Decline in the Pay TV market is to be a success

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

as the broadcasters are the ones limiting the ability to stream between devices it will be good to see if skyQ lets you stream every channel or just eh ones owed by sky
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

barrylowry wrote:

dannylau wrote:

in other words You Are shoving out buzz words for the sake of it,

SKY-Q seems to be a lot more fit for purpose than the current TIVO and as I said before TIVO Mk 2 will need to be better than SKY-Q or come out cheaper if Tom Mockridge's plan to reverse Virgin's Decline in the Pay TV market is to be a success

depends, if the purpose is watch 4k tv without the things I mentioned it's just an upscaled picture

0 Kudos