Menu
chriscl
Superfast
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Return of old V+HD box?

I have recently had a V+HD box replaced with a TIVO (at VM's insistence, not my request).

In the packaging for the new TIVO, there were no instructions for returning the old box, or any return label or anything else? 

What do I do with this old box? Is it still to be returned, or can it simply be recycled? 

I believed VM were issuing TIVO boxes as the "old" V+ HD box will shortly be withdrawn?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Return of old V+HD box?

The Scientific Atlanta V+ boxes can be taken to the local recycling, as they are now no longer refurbished.

You should have had the choice of keeping the SA V+ if you wished. The only thing is you would have lost access to the Sky Sports & Sky Movies HD channels had you kept it. Samsung V+ boxes are not affected, so are not being replaced.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Scientific Atlanta V+ boxes can be taken to the local recycling, as they are now no longer refurbished.

You should have had the choice of keeping the SA V+ if you wished. The only thing is you would have lost access to the Sky Sports & Sky Movies HD channels had you kept it. Samsung V+ boxes are not affected, so are not being replaced.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

dave12cd
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you don't want the box back, is it possible to unlock it for use as a stand alone TV recording device.

If so I could give it to my Mum?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

dave12cd wrote:

If you don't want the box back, is it possible to unlock it for use as a stand alone TV recording device.

If so I could give it to my Mum?

Nope.

The box will only record from digital cable (DVB-C) services. Cable services in the UK are a closed system with no free channels, so cannot be used without an active subscription

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
tammac81
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I  would be very wary about taking your old boxes for recycling. no matter what "superuser" says, at the moment I am getting nothing but grief about returning set -top boxes, and "superuser" replied to my post, he or she made no reference to taking boxes to recycling? and advised me to contact VM about pre-packaging? as I have had e-mails from the returns dept about returning their equipment, and a sinister end to the e-mails are that they will charge(an extortionate price) for their  equipment, so be very wary of any advice you get on here as I have been disappointed by my experience, and I believe all these friendly advice givers are VM employees , so beware!

0 Kudos