Menu
MichF
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Remote control not working after 8 pm

Having a constant issue with my remote control. Signed up 3 months ago and soon after was having a problem with the remote signal. Light coming on on remote but changing channel etc extremely slow to react having to hold down the keys for at least a few seconds for anything to happen. Have been sent a new remote and TiVo box replaced but still the same. Strange thing is remote is ok all day but after 7.30/8 pm is when the issue starts and the remote doesn't work properly. Getting really fed up with it. Any ideas?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remote control not working after 8 pm

Okay we have a winner...the weirdest problem of the day prize goes to...

<drumroll>

MichF  !!!

Stand up and take a bow sir!

What the actual flip? your REMOTE stops working at 7:30/8pm every night???

Lets think about this logically. You remote has no clue what time of day it is so lets exclude that. You've had your TiVo switched, so lets exclude that...which leaves environmental factors???

Is there a lamp near your TiVo you put on around that time?? A heat source? Is it by the window and there is glare from the evening sun?

The only thing I can think of is somethings interfering with the IR range of frequencies.

When it happens try this test- switch the camera on on your mobile phone- now look at the front of the remote through the camera- press a button on the remote - if you see flashing white on the phone screen we know the IR transmission is happening which links us back to environmental factors...

keyboard_problems.png

MichF
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Well tried the phone camera on the remote and it has a white light so all fine there. Not near any heat source, no glare from sun either. Seeing as no one has a clue what is going on with it including Virgin I will continue watching Amazon prime every evening to save myself and my daughter getting wound up by the remote not working and cancel my Virgin contract at the end of the term. It's driving us mad and not helped by no one believing it's an issue after 8 pm!!!!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I believe you, its just a really weird problem. Do the buttons on the TiVo itself operate okay when the remote doesn't? Do you switch your TiVo off overnight?

0 Kudos
MichF
Joining in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Buttons on the TiVo box work fine. Box goes onto standby overnight. I mainly watch recorded stuff so scrolling up and down is erratic and very slow having to hold down button on remote for up to 5 seconds and even this sometimes doesn't work. Fast forward a programme and it takes a good few seconds for stop to work.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

If there's nothing interfering with the remote signal, it could be your TiVo's GUI is crashing- try the following

press thumbs down thumbs up play play

See if that gets some life back to it. If not, hard reset (power off for 30 seconds at the wall)

Does it come back to life (the remote functions that is)?

0 Kudos
MichF
Joining in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Tried both those suggestions and remote is still unresponsive. The light is coming on the remote but signal slow to get through to the box. Maybe I just need to get virgin to come round in the evening as no way of proving what is going on.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

See you've got me all interested...there MUST be something we are missing its just a question of what.

Ill do some digging around but Ive already come up blank after your first post, so dont get your hopes up for a fast solution. But id really like to see if we cant nail this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

When does it start to work properly again?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It has to be some sort of IR flooding issue, figuring out what is doing it is the hard part

0 Kudos