Menu
Lalupes
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Remote Control for Visually Impaired People

My mum has macular degeneration and cannot see the buttons on the remote control which came with her Virgin Media Cable box. Universal Remotes, with accessible buttons, which can be bought in shops say they cannot replace Virgin Media remotes. Please can anyone tell me if Virgin Media makes remotes with big buttons for visually impaired people? Thank you.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Remote Control for Visually Impaired People

Lalupes wrote:

Universal Remotes, with accessible buttons, which can be bought in shops say they cannot replace Virgin Media remotes. 

Unfortunately there aren't any larger button remotes available directly from Virgin Media, however the compatibility issue isn't really true any more in most cases. That issue was due to the fact that many years ago the boxes that ntl and Telewest used had special remote codes so that they could be used with keyboard remotes. These were limited to some boxes made by Pace and Scientific Atlanta (not the V+ HD though)

However all Virgin TV boxes installed for at least the last 9 years are compatible with universal remotes.

Another option for customers with TiVo and broadband is to set up the TV Anywhere app and TiVo box to use the app as a remote control. The app is compatible with accessibility features on both iOS and Android, and so can be an alternative to a 'normal' remote.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Lalupes wrote:

Universal Remotes, with accessible buttons, which can be bought in shops say they cannot replace Virgin Media remotes. 

Unfortunately there aren't any larger button remotes available directly from Virgin Media, however the compatibility issue isn't really true any more in most cases. That issue was due to the fact that many years ago the boxes that ntl and Telewest used had special remote codes so that they could be used with keyboard remotes. These were limited to some boxes made by Pace and Scientific Atlanta (not the V+ HD though)

However all Virgin TV boxes installed for at least the last 9 years are compatible with universal remotes.

Another option for customers with TiVo and broadband is to set up the TV Anywhere app and TiVo box to use the app as a remote control. The app is compatible with accessibility features on both iOS and Android, and so can be an alternative to a 'normal' remote.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Lalupes
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much, BenMcr. I'm very grateful for your quick and helpful reply. This will really cheer up my mum, who has been getting so upset about it all.
0 Kudos
java2016
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Did the universal remote control work for your mum? I'm having to do the same for my Dad

0 Kudos