Menu
Orion27
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Random volume levels

My mum has a plain digital box and 2 weeks ago, the volume levels on channels have become random and pot luck what level they will be. I can see no set pattern to what volume level each channel will be. It changes every time she changes channel. It's not a specific level for a specific channel. It's like rolling a dice every time you turn over.

Does anyone know what could be causing this random event?

TIA

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Random volume levels

Hi Orion27,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

This is an unusual issue, and not an everyday fault.  I have re-checked the box remotely and all still looks great from here signal wise.

I would like to send out and engineer to give our equipment a check over.  There is a possibility it may not be our equipment, but at least we can get it checked out and if it is, resolve it.

I will send you a private message with details of the next steps.

(Look out for the envelope icon)

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Orion27,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I will be happy to help find out what's happening here.

Volume levels can vary from channel to channel but there shouldn't be a huge difference.  It may depend on the broadcast of the channel.

Have you got an example of 2 channels and if they are SD or HD?

Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Orion27
Dialled in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, the volume is not controlled by the channel or the current TV program. For example, Eastenders on BBC1 SD can be a certain level, you then switch to another channel, switch back and the volume of Eastenders will then be on a completely different level.

No chance of getting a tech out because they have already refused to do so, so my mum is completely stuck with the problem Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Orion27
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Forogot to add, the variation can be as much as volume level 8-25 on the TV.

Thanks for any ideas and help you can give Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Orion27,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

This is an unusual issue, and not an everyday fault.  I have re-checked the box remotely and all still looks great from here signal wise.

I would like to send out and engineer to give our equipment a check over.  There is a possibility it may not be our equipment, but at least we can get it checked out and if it is, resolve it.

I will send you a private message with details of the next steps.

(Look out for the envelope icon)

0 Kudos
Orion27
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can you confirm you have read my latest PM requesting the cancellation of a Tech visit scheduled for tomorrow?

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Orion27

Thanks for your post regarding the engineer cancellation.

I can see my colleague from the forums has sent you a private message about 50 minutes ago confirming this has been cancelled.

Please let us know if the issue is still causing your mum problems in the future and we can look at reorganising this again  on her behalf to ensure she's getting the very best out of her TV service from us.

Keep us posted on how you get on and if there's anything else we can help with Smiley Happy

Thanks

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

businessmars
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I'm new to Virgin Media and this forum so apologies if this isn't the correct place to report my issue, but I have exactly the same problem with my brand new Virgin box. The volume levels are all over the place. I have to turn the volume up to previously uncharted territory on some channels, whilst others need to be turned way way down.

Looking at the response from Virgin that this is unusual and requires a visit, I need to request a similar service please.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi businessmars,

A warm welcome to our community and you certainly are in the right place to report this fault.  I will be happy to have a look at this issue.

I have taken an initial look at your box remotely and all looks fine with the signal and power levels.  What I'd like to establish is the volume difference between the channels.  Reason for this is this can happen depending on the channels affected.  For example the sound levels between an SD channels can vary from HD channels.  The sound broadcasts at a different level/quality from each other.

Also, it's worth check that the lead currently connecting from the box to your TV set isn't faulty causing any sound disruptions, it would be great to rule this out by trying a different lead if possible?

If you can give me an idea what channels are affected that you've seen so far and note if they are SD or HD and which ones you have to turn the volume up on or down.

Also, can you please tell me if you have any audio equipment connected like a Sound Bar or Surround Sound?

I'm here to help so please keep me posted.

Collette Smiley Happy

0 Kudos