Menu
derekn
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Questions about Installation

Hello,  After getting fed up with Talktalk dropouts and escalating Sky costs I've decided to try Virgin Media and are due an engineer install in a couple of weeks.  There is no cable from the street to my house. To make it tidy I have laid a Virgin cable in through an air brick, under the floorboards and up into the lounge by my TV.

I have an install date but not a date when the cable will routed from the street to my airbrick - I want to be present when this is done:

Q1   Will I get an appointed time or do I need to insist on one?

The neatest position for the white junction box will be to have it flat on the floor with the cable coming into the back and the outputs at floor level (no point in a cable up onto the wall then 3 more down again)

Q2  Will the Engineer be agreeable to fix the box on the floor?

TV: Cable to STB, HDMI to AV Amplifier; no problem.  Broadband: my house is 100+ years old with thick walls and I read that the Virgin Hub has a limited range in such properties and I wonder if I should just use it as a modem and get something like a Asus RT-AC66U and locate it centrally by Cat 5 cable.

Q3  In my situation should I use an alternative Hub?

Telephone: my answerphone is in a different room so I need to get a Virgin line there.  I already have a telephone wire link under the floor from my Talktalk socket to my Sky Box.

Q4  If I have my Virgin phone socket in one room can I use a "normal" phone wire to link it to my phone next door?

Finally!  A technical question - in their advertising Virgin say, "Dedicated connection for true TV On Demand (doesn't share your broadband connection)".   The cable appears to be dual core, the smaller being the phone, so:

Q5  How can TV and broadband use the same cable without one affecting the other?

Sorry to rabbit on and I will be grateful for answers to any or all of my queries.  With answers I can be best prepared for the installation.

Many Thanks.

derekn

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Questions about Installation

Firstly, VM do not use the same cable that is used for Freeview or Satellite installations. To avoid RF ingress they use specially manufactured cable, so will probably refuse to use anything you have installed unless it is Webro HD100 triple screened. (RF problems can track back to the cabinet & affect other customers services).

You can put the Superhub into modem mode & use a router.

VM will put in a seperate master socket for the phone, so you can wire into that what you wish.

The "Dedicated connection" referrs to the TiVO boxes having their own internet modem taking Broadband seperate from the Superhub. This is no longer the case with the new V6 box, that now requires a connection (preferrably via Ethernet, but WiFi is available) to the Superhub to access App based & some OD content.

The majority of OD content on cable is provided via unique linear channels in the broadcast TV part of the system, so don't require internet access.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Firstly, VM do not use the same cable that is used for Freeview or Satellite installations. To avoid RF ingress they use specially manufactured cable, so will probably refuse to use anything you have installed unless it is Webro HD100 triple screened. (RF problems can track back to the cabinet & affect other customers services).

You can put the Superhub into modem mode & use a router.

VM will put in a seperate master socket for the phone, so you can wire into that what you wish.

The "Dedicated connection" referrs to the TiVO boxes having their own internet modem taking Broadband seperate from the Superhub. This is no longer the case with the new V6 box, that now requires a connection (preferrably via Ethernet, but WiFi is available) to the Superhub to access App based & some OD content.

The majority of OD content on cable is provided via unique linear channels in the broadcast TV part of the system, so don't require internet access.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
derekn
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thank you nodrogd,

The cable under my floorboards is from Virgin Media so will be ok.  I called my local service engineer with my queries so for the benefit of anyone else:

I've arranged that the brown box engineers will call me to discuss installation before starting work.  The white box can be fitted wherever I want, eg flat on the floor.  The sensible idea with the Hub is to try it and see.  As you say, the phone socket will take a normal extension wire.

Thanks for explaining how the cable works.

Cheers,

Derek

0 Kudos