Menu
chalklands
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Prices going up!

I have just switched to Virgin media after 17 years with Sky. Lo and behold, after being with them for just over a month I got a letter today telling me that the cost of my TV package is going up by £3 a month in September. No justification for the increase, but they tell me they are bringing me 'bigger, better entertainment', oh, and a new BT sports channel! Whoopee, I'm underwhelmed to say the least. A new sports channel is of as much use to me as a chocolate teapot. I don't watch sport apart from the Olympics and the World Cup. Why can't they introduce a channel I would actually want to watch like Sky Atlantic? I'm sure part of the price rise is a knock on due to the obscene amount of money Sky have paid for the Premier League TV rights (which was the reason I dumped Sky). Why oh why do us non sports fans get penalised for this?

So Virgin Media, what exactly is your justification for the price rise??

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Prices going up!

It's nothing to do with Sky. It's BT Sport Europe being added. VM have to pay BT for it because it's a BT service. Sky did this to their customers too when they paid huge sums for the latest round of Premier League sports rights. Have a look at the other threads about this in this part of the Forum.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
sammydarlo
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Well before VM start buying extra channels off BT maybe just maybe they should ask the customers first if they want the extra sports channels??? We are YET ANOTHER family who do not watch or want to watch sports channels of any description so why should they be foisted onto us with an extra charge/price increase when they are not wanted and will not be watched? If i go to the supermarket to buy apples they do not force me to buy bananas too. VM can shove all the sports channels and especially the BT Sports channels where the sun doesn't shine, i do not want them i object to being made to have them and i object even more to being forced to pay for something i did not ask for, do not want and yet am forced to pay for!!!

sammydarlo
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Phone VM on 150 from a VM landline, complain about the increase, tell them you do not want the BT channels and DEMAND that you do not get charged the extra £3 a month for something you do not want!! not asked for! Protest is the only way to get through to VM that people are fed up of the constant price increases -way above inflation rates- and especially because their buyers agree with other companies such as BT to take whatever they offer at the prices set by BT!!!! (the excuse given to me by VM when i complained) VM need new buyers who will put their foot down and tell companies like BT Sports what THEY WILL PAY, not what BT WANT THEM TO PAY. Or are they all getting back handers from BT for agreeing to higher prices because its passed onto the customers anyway!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

And last year (I think it was) when it was not certain that VM would carry any BT Sports channels you should have seen the massive outcry on this Forum about it. At that time the price didn't change. Now it has gone up by less than the full cost to VM (who have absorbed some of the increase themselves). VM can't win really.

You have my sympathy. I am in the same position. I'm staying with XL because of the other channels it provides. But you can get out of the TV part of your contract if you do so by 31 August.

As I keep saying - there are clearly more people who want the sport than who do not. VM wouldn't have behaved this way if it were otherwise. This is what you get in a competitive TV market. Go figure! And be careful what you wish for all round when it comes to paying for TV services in the market.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:
And last year (I think it was) when it was not certain that VM would carry any BT Sports channels you should have seen the massive outcry on this Forum about it. At that time the price didn't change. Now it has gone up by less than the full cost to VM (who have absorbed some of the increase themselves). VM can't win really.

You have my sympathy. I am in the same position. I'm staying with XL because of the other channels it provides. But you can get out of the TV part of your contract if you do so by 31 August.

As I keep saying - there are clearly more people who want the sport than who do not. VM wouldn't have behaved this way if it were otherwise. This is what you get in a competitive TV market. Go figure! And be careful what you wish for all round when it comes to paying for TV services in the market.

They could win by giving people the choice to pay for it or not

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

dannylau - I suspect BT would have ruled out a deal like that from the beginning. It's a numbers game with the VM closed system, unlike the Astra Sat where they could retail it themselves and do.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

There seems to be just as a big of an outcry as there was last year so perhaps the number of people who want sport is less then they thought or at least the number of people who want to pay extra for it, either way it was a poor decision 

0 Kudos
dave2660
Superfast
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:

The problem is that this situation isn't new.  Before BT Sport, Virgin Media carried ESPN in the XL pack.  Before that Setanta was included.  Virgin Media have been including premium sports channels in the XL pack for some time and a lot of customers have got used to it.  The reason that there was outcry at the time was because there was the prospect of loosing a premium sport channel that was closing (ESPN) without getting either its replacement (BT Sport) or a price reduction.  Personally I'd have preferred a reduction in price, but we we ended up with BT Sport instead.  We didn't get BT Sport for free, the reason there wasn't a price increase was because it just replaced the ESPN channels that had been in the XL pack previously

BTW, just because Virgin Media have absorbed some of the cost themselves doesn't mean that we aren't paying for it.  I've seen some people say that it's only £3, so we shouldn't moan too much.  But if the increased cost for BT Sport Europe is actually £5, with VM absorbing the other £2 (which is what retentions told me when I phoned to complain), then presumably the XL pack could be £5 cheaper if it didn't include BT Sport Europe.  How much cheaper could it be if it didn't include any of the BT Sport channels?

And if Virgin Media are absorbing £2 of the cost then you can bet they will probably want that back the net time the prices go up.

HowardML wrote:

I'm sure you're right.  There must be more people who are happy to get a good deal for BT Sport than people who are angry about being forced to pay for it when they don't want it.  It's just unfortunate that Virgin Media seem to have decided to only focus on those who want sport and ignore those who don't.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

My sympathies are with you all, but my head tells me that VM would not have gone the way they did unless they thought that it would be a good and calculated commercial prospect to bundle all of BT Sport together in the XL package and above. I can't see the deal unravelling unless there is a mass customer revolt or their churn rate rises or they fail to attract new customers. Will any or all of this happen?

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos