Menu
rps1013
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Price increase - up again from February 2015

So the annual price hike has been announced.

Prices going up by an average of 5.9%

Line rental up by £1 / month

Line rental saver going up and becoming £164/yr

Big bundles up £3/month

except Big Kahuna and Big Daddy up by £4.50/month with all bundles including the £1 line rental increase.

source: Dana Strong, Chief Operating Officer via ispreview.

0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 2 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price increase - up again from February 2015

Hardly a surprise. VM usually follow a 'free' upgrade (tivo plumdate) with a price rise.
0 Kudos
rps1013
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Not a surprise no but I wouldn't link the plum upgrade to the pending price rises.
0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 4 of 54
Flag for a moderator

rps1013 wrote:
Not a surprise no but I wouldn't link the plum upgrade to the pending price rises.

What would you link it to then? Inflation is 1.3% and this increase is 5.9%.  What exactly has increased in price or is it that the shareholders fancy more money? Line Saver Rental is up 14% !! Certainly isn't being invested in the network given the ever ongoing iplayer issues.  I don't think turning red to purple on tivo can have cost that much; if it has then i'll have red back.

You can of course get out of your contract if they increase prices so that's something some may want to consider. I'm sure they'll mention it in the letter they send out !

0 Kudos
kebabmon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Got my letter today. As a VHD box 'owner', I'm being asked to pay more for a reduced service (no HD Catch-up). VM's existing customer base is are being treated like a captive market. Maybe I'll get a seat on Galactic?
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Mr_K wrote:

rps1013 wrote:

What would you link it to then? Inflation is 1.3% and this increase is 5.9%.  What exactly has increased in price or is it that the shareholders fancy more money? Line Saver Rental is up 14% !! Certainly isn't being invested in the network given the ever ongoing iplayer issues.  I don't think turning red to purple on tivo can have cost that much; if it has then i'll have red back.

You can of course get out of your contract if they increase prices so that's something some may want to consider. I'm sure they'll mention it in the letter they send out !

Id link it to the cost of energy increasing so Infrastructure takes more pounds to run. Id also link it to increased competition in the marketplace so marketing need a bigger budget. So basically two nonsenses as energy prices have fallen and marketing need their b***s kicked.

Basically you are asking "Why should I pay more in indirect taxes??" and the answer is we outsourced everything  in the 80-'s 90's and now we are at the mercy of shareholders. In VM's defense they are the LAST to hike prices. However as Mr Cameron thinks you are a mug, you'll sit still for it. Welcome to the new world order.

0 Kudos
TivoFan
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 54
Flag for a moderator

rps1013 wrote:

Neither would I. A ridiculous thought.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/nov/21/virgin-media-price-rises

"Virgin Media has become the last of the big phone companies to announce prices rises.."

So it's not like they're the only ones!

Mr_K wrote:

Certainly isn't being invested in the network given the ever ongoing iplayer issues

That is a BBC issue not a VM issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Existing customers who wish to get a better deal should call 150 then select Option 1 then 4 then 5, "thinking about leaving us".
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 54
Flag for a moderator

Sky line rental (they don't have a saver option) is now just under £200 a year, & they are not paying out for network expansion such as VM are doing in London, Teesside & Glasgow, not to mention the speed upgrades.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 9 of 54
Flag for a moderator

TivoFan wrote:

Mr_K wrote:

Certainly isn't being invested in the network given the ever ongoing iplayer issues

That is a BBC issue not a VM issue.

Nope,  it's a VM issue with network congestion  - no problem with iPlayer on other platforms, However there are hundreds of of threads on that subject.

fizz
Up to speed
Message 10 of 54
Flag for a moderator

This is rediculous i have just swithed bundles to save money. This is now wiped out. I dont need 152mb broadband, which only runs at 20mb best. I could have just down graded my 60mb and saved a lot more. Sky is getting a call tomorrow  and i will be speaking to vm to see what i can do...

0 Kudos