Menu
stutay
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Premium services I did not ask for

Owing to my bills going to my ntlworld email address and the well known issues with mail forwarding never having worked as it should, I've only just spotted that for the last two months my bill has been about £20 more than normal due to now having 'premium movie add ons'. Over the years I've had to repeatedly chop off and cut down services from VM as the bills creep up, just to keep it affordable. It's about £50 a month, every month for the package. I've never 'pay-per-viewed', watched a movie on demand or asked for any 'premium' services. I can't afford it and they don't interest me. Apparently though, according to customer services, I ordered premium movie channels on 13th April. She told me "you are the only one with access" and "someone has added them through the website", despite my repeatedly telling her I have not done so. I've never even looked into those offers, let alone chosen one. She then came back with "so how come you didn't notice this last month then?" like this somehow proves I'm lying?!? The emails don't get forwarded sadly, due to VM failings - that's how!

So, she says she can adjust this months, but there is no way she can give me back the money I paid for these 'premium' channels last month, again adding "someone added them". I am furious about this. Not only have they done this in error (or dishonestly), but now they are only just about stopping short of calling me a liar!

Where do I go from here? I want that money back! Goodness knows how much VM cream off their customers each month with these practices, hoping people will moan but ultimately give up and pay it.

I've been a customer with VM, NTLworld, Nynex and Cable & Wireless (in all their previous guises) for donkeys years but I'm just about ready to take the plunge and switch everything away from them - it is ALWAYS such a hassle trying to get any balls up like this sorted with them ggrrr!

I called this morning before work and when the guy heard my problem he said "oh my computer has gone down, I'll call you back in 5 mins", which must be code for "erk I don't like the sound of this one, I'll use that line on him and then won't bother calling him" because I waited until I was late for work, then gave up and he never called according to my phone log. Having rang them again this evening and spoken to the lady mentioned above, I am now waiting for a supervisor to ring me, but it's already well beyond the time they said they'd call and so I am assuming I'll probably hear nothing from them again, so here I am explaining it all over again on the forums, hoping to find someone competent to deal with it ...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Premium services I did not ask for

Hi stutay,

Thanks for coming by and welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I'm so very sorry to hear that you haven't heard back form us when we promised to.  I'd like to help get this sorted for you.

I will be popping some details in a private message for you. (Look out for the envelope icon above)

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
stutay
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collete
Thanks for your reply.
I never did get the call back from the supervisor. However, I did email the VM CEO too, got a call from that and to some extent it's been sorted out, in so far as I am not out of pocket.
I do have a rather bad taste left in my mouth though. VM argument is that someone, without me noticing, was in my home that day purchasing premium channels through my TiVo box (the original info given that it was through the website was wrong). They googled the default pin code, which is easy to find out. The computer record shows it and is infallible. I know there was no one here that day AND that no one I know would even do that, but they would not accept this.
I've since come home and looked to change the pin used for purchasing premium channels and found that it is the same pin used for parental controls & other stuff. Now THIS pin I had changed from the default already, so even if this fantasy scenario above occurred, the 'someone' had no way of knowing that pin. I won't bother to go back to the guy to explain this, as I'm sure he'll have his next 'gem' to use on me to continue their denial that anything went wrong with their system.
This is the most annoying thing about it all now - failure of VM to learn anything from this experience, which seems typical.
The only way now I can feel comfortable continuing with VM is to login and check what services I have at least once a week so that the next time there's a balls up like this, I will at most pick up false charges for just a few days, not several weeks.
All in all, appalled at my treatment, but as I'm no worse off now, time to drop it - the telephone arguments have put my blood pressure up I'm sure and I can never see a day VM will accept they or their systems are at fault.
My advice to everyone else is keep a really close eye on your account - through design or error, this could happen to any one of you!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stutay,

Thanks for your reply.  

I'm glad we were able to get this sorted in the end for you.

I am sorry that you weren't contacted as promised, it's never good to hear when this happens. 

Anytime you have a query or fault, give us a shout here and we'll be more than happy to help out.  

Keep in touch. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
stutay
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Am absolutely astounded. The previous debacle of Virgin adding premium movie services I did not order (but insisted, until the end, that I was some lying scum who was clearing trying it on) has, after a few months peace & quiet been surpassed by a random 'premier sports' £7 last month, 9.99 this month charge.
Again, I'm being charged for these nonsense services I know nothing about. We watch regular old TV & not even much of that. We don't switch to channels we don't have. We rarely go outside of BBC. We series link stuff we like & have time for little else. I dread the call to VM who will react like I'm some kind of scum **bleep** trying it on.
I'm absolutely at the end of my tether. It's not even as if we could have accidentally chosen these services - we a) dont ever switch to these channels & b) after the last debacle set the pin to something even we wouldnt remember if an effort to prove to VM that should it happen again, it was not is. I give up. If I have to call up VM to resolve this I will have to leave for NY or another provider before I go through the patronising "yes Mr Taylor, we know it was SOMEONE else and not you signed up for premium crap".
Absolutely furious.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello Stutay,

I'm sorry that you've had this issue happen, i can see that this has happened in the past for you regarding the TiVo. I would like to help and would need to clear Data Protection with you as the next part includes something of a billing nature. 

I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little purple envelope near the top right of the page.

Stay in touch and have a great day.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
stutay
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Got nowhere with this via the forums and my complaint registered through the website last Friday still has not had a response. Same as last time I had these problems - very poor/lack of communication. So this morning I called up VM and explained everything, again. The charges were removed and i switched to a cheaper deal, so that's all good. However, the response was still one of "someone's selected that channel, clicked OK a couple of times, entered pin, clicked OK again, etc" which blatantly never happened this time or the last. No explanation from VM. I wonder how many times this will have to happen before they consider I am not lying scum and perhaps there's a hardware/software problem.
I've now not only got the box set to require a pin I'm not sure I will remember (and my wife has asked not to know), but also meticulously locked every unsubscribed channel.
Until the next time *sigh*
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi stutay

I appreciate that you have contacted us to let us know you've spoken to the team about this and it's great that they have sorted this out for you.

I understand that the booking of channels via the TV has been an issue, and hopefully my colleagues on the phone have given you support which is fab.

Just to support this if you have not made a note of the details on how to change this in your settings. If you go to:

Guide > Settings > Purchase Controls >Enter Pin.

You will then get the option to make sure that you have to enter a pin when booking as channel via the TV going forwards.

This may have not been set previously, as on the older TiVo® set top boxes, this was not set as the standard default setting but it is now.

Please let us know if you need anything else from us.

Take care.

Karen

Virgin Media Forum Team

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
stutay
Tuning in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen.
Yes the issue is it is charging for premium services not chosen. The pin settings were already there & in use, the channels had not been chosen yet they appeared & I was to be charged for them but for my vigilance.
Sadly for all of us my case has proven these settings, when turned on, don't prevent this from happening. Clearly the TiVo boxed, the network, the software or all 3 have serious faults.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi stutay,

I'm sorry to hear that you're continuing to have ongoing issues with charges for premium content.  I have just been looking this up and getting up to speed with things since you first posted back in May.

I have raised an issue to one of our fault teams to investigate in case there's a rare anomaly where the box or the account is in error.  It's important we check all angles and find out what's causing this issue. 

It can take up to a few days for them to get back to me so when I've had an update I shall be back in touch to let you know the outcome.  I have updated the notes and the complaint that has been raised so all concerned are up to speed.

Thank you for your patience, I'll be in touch in the next few days.

Collette Smiley Happy

0 Kudos