Menu
Carlos19731
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Premier Sports Cheaper Monthly Price

Why don't Virgin offer this Channel at a cheaper price per month or free if you subscribe to a Mix Pack upwards? Higher Viewing Figures Surely would Follow?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Premier Sports Cheaper Monthly Price

The arrangement with Premiium channels is different to standard package channels. Channel owners with Premium agreements can & do take as much as 90% of the income from that subscription. Any discounting therefore has to be with the agreement with the channel owner as it would be a direct loss to their income.

I will also hasten to add that when BT Sports was added in this way 3 years ago it resulted in an increase in the channel pack price of the pack it was added too. This resulted in thousands on non sports fans downdgrading their packs or leaving Virgin for their rivals.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Carlos19731
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the informative answer 🤔👍🏻
0 Kudos
pavmas
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin used to buy free viewing in the summer for this channel to tick us over till the football starts, they cover some football games in the summer such as CL qualifier and Europa games as well as friendlies which lets you see players just bough by your team. I would think someone from virgin could do a deal with them to give it for £5 in the summer months, I mean that would be £15 from each subscriber who watches football.

0 Kudos
pavmas
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have to add though that BT sports is a better deal and cover more of the football I watch than Sky sports.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

pavmas wrote:

Virgin used to buy free viewing in the summer for this channel to tick us over till the football starts, they cover some football games in the summer such as CL qualifier and Europa games as well as friendlies which lets you see players just bough by your team. I would think someone from virgin could do a deal with them to give it for £5 in the summer months, I mean that would be £15 from each subscriber who watches football.

As far as I recall that only happened once, two years ago. As above it is likely that Premier Sports made it available free as a taster rather than VM paying for it. Same, as far as I know, for the Sky Sports offers. I had a months free earlier this year.

It is not really in VM's interest to subsidise these offers as it is the Premium channels which would reap the benefits, not VM.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

pavmas wrote:

As far as I recall that only happened once, two years ago. As above it is likely that Premier Sports made it available free as a taster rather than VM paying for it.

That was pretty good as it covered Copa America.  Alas these days it costs me about £12 to cover the GAA in June/July until the later stages are on Sky.  Not much football though.  ITV seemed to have cornered that this summer with the Conferations Cup, with Eurosport and Sky having the U20/U21 competitions.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

arrgee1991 wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

pavmas wrote:

As far as I recall that only happened once, two years ago. As above it is likely that Premier Sports made it available free as a taster rather than VM paying for it.

That was pretty good as it covered Copa America.  Alas these days it costs me about £12 to cover the GAA in June/July until the later stages are on Sky.  Not much football though.  ITV seemed to have cornered that this summer with the Conferations Cup, with Eurosport and Sky having the U20/U21 competitions.

Agreed, I also watched and enjoyed Copa America. Unfortunately overall I don't think that Premier Sports have enough to attract a wider, paying, audience.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

Unfortunately overall I don't think that Premier Sports have enough to attract a wider, paying, audience.

No, but it is a superb niche channel.  Invaluable to me during the summer with 2 or 3 GAA games on every weekend.

Great for night owls.  Rugby League World Cup coming later this year for insomniacs everywhere but ahead of that some late night football...  

http://www.premiersports.com/football/international-champions-cup/

International Champions Cup Fixtures

Tue 18 JulAC Milan v Borussia DortmundUniversity Stadium12:35Live
Wed 19 JulBayern Munich vs. ArsenalShanghai Stadium13:05Live
Thu 20 JulAS Roma vs. Paris Saint-GermainComerica Park01:05Live
Sat 22 JulManchester United vs. Manchester CityNRG Stadium00:00Delayed
Sat 22 JulBayern Munich vs. AC MilanLonggang10:35Live
Sat 22 JulJuventus v FC BarcelonaMetLife Stadium23:05Live
Sun 23 JulParis Saint-Germain vs. Tottenham HotspurCamping World Std'm01:05Live
Mon 24 JulInter Milan vs. AC MilanOlympic Sports Centre13:05Live
Tue 25 JulReal Madrid vs. Manchester UnitedLevi's Stadium00:00Delayed
Tue 25 JulChelsea vs. Bayern MunichNational Stadium12:35Live