Menu
mpdeadman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Powerline Problems!

Hi all,

I've recently received a Tivo box with my new Virgin Media package and went about setting it up. I initially set it up downstairs next to the router and ran an ethernet cable from the router (also Virgin) to the Tivo box and all worked fine.

I then re-positioned the Tivo box upstairs and connected the box in to my Powerlines and found it wouldn't connect. I tested my powerlines to my PC and am getting 20MB+ connectivity. The Tivo box is showing error C130 (network availability) and therefore I have no EPG or On Demand services.

I've tried resetting the box to no avail either.

Any Idea what could be causing this and what I need to do to resolve it!? I'm technically savvy I like to feel, so this is very frustrating for me! 

Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Powerline Problems!

The Tivo doesn't need an Ethernet connection to operate (it is just used for LAN access to the TV Anywhere app) so the C130 error is not related to your power line adapters.  I believe C130 means the Tivo can't connect to the VM network, which would suggest possibly an issue with the VM cabling that was installed upstairs.

Does it work OK if you connect it up again to the VM cable downstairs?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

mpdeadman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi and thanks for the quick response. Yes it works ok If I connect it downstairs. Sounds like it may be my cabling then? I seem to get most channels both upstairs and downstairs, but this would explain things I guess! 

0 Kudos
mpdeadman
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The other problem I'm having is my EPG is showing 'To be Announced'. When I go to settings and select "Connect to the Virgin Media Service now" It says 'A network cable is unplugged' how can I get my Guide to work!?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Again, it's do with the coax connection you have upstairs. TiVo uses this to connect back to the data centre so if connection upstairs isn't within specifications for whatever reason (damaged coax or a dodgy connection somewhere) it will have problems. The Ethernet connection that the TiVo box uses is purely for some additional features such as multi-room streaming and using the TV Anywhere app as a remote control.

You'll need to contact the faults team so they can do diagnostics on your box to identify exactly what the issue is. 150 from a Virgin Media landline or Mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other line and follow the prompts for an issue with your TV service.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
mpdeadman
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ben. Due to me extending the Coax cable throughout the house myself, I'm thinking Virgin won't help? If I plug it in by the virgin plate on the wall all works fine.. I'm assuming from this that there is noise which is causing the problem. Is there a threshold in the settings page I should be looking to achieve with regards to SNR figures etc?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's not really my area of expertise, although one of the other users may be able to help

All I can possibly suggest for now is you can find the the SNR details in Help & Settings > System Info > Diagnostics. Note down what you've got again the Cable Modem and tuners where the TiVo box does work, and then you'll need to replicate these as close as possible in your upstairs location.

Some of this https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/POWER-LEVELS-amp-SNR-TECHNICAL-PRIMER-Apr... may also apply to TiVo in regards to the SNR details but I'm not 100% sure.

Just as a comparison, the SNR my TiVo is currently showing for the Cable Modem connection is 40dB.

I do also need to point out that it's against the Virgin Media T&Cs to alter the cabling unless directed to do so by Virgin Media (for instance via a self-install pack) http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#usin... , so as you say it's unlikely that Virgin Media would be able to help you resolve this issue without cost. A standard call out for a new coax point where services are not also being installed is £99.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

mpdeadman wrote:

Thanks Ben. Due to me extending the Coax cable throughout the house myself, I'm thinking Virgin won't help? If I plug it in by the virgin plate on the wall all works fine.. I'm assuming from this that there is noise which is causing the problem. Is there a threshold in the settings page I should be looking to achieve with regards to SNR figures etc?

As stated by on another thread: "it is against VM's T&C's to alter the coax cabling, as un-authorised alterations can & do cause noise ingress onto the local network, which would not only affect the connection concerned, but every other connection on the local cabinet. I would also point out that even with the correct cable installed, if signal levels are borderline, increasing the length of cable will also cause issues."

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos