Menu
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Phone call from 0800 408 9341 - caller breaking UK law.

I had a phone call from 0800 408 9341.

The caller spoke very bad english, she asked me first for 2 characters from my password, I refused, until she said what she wanted, then she wanted how I paid my bill, again I refused.

I told her that I did not want her to call me again, and she would be breaking UK law, if she persisted.

Then  she asked me who my current tv provider was, I said sky, then shed asked me how many channels I could recieve, I said the box goes up to 999, but some of the channels have 4 digits, like radio 4 is 0104, potentially 9,999.

The same number tried to call me back another 5 times, but not once did they leave me a voicemail. I would expect a virgin employee to reconise the "welcome to our voicemail service" and leave me a message.

I tried calling this number, and their is a recordingsaying that they tried to contact me.

This is obviiously someone trying to cold call me and sell me stuff that I do not want.

By law, UK-based companies must not make unsolicited sales and marketing calls to TPS-registered home phone or mobile numbers, even if the call centre is overseas.

I would like to know what legal recourse I can take, as clearly this call centre is breaking UK law, and if it is virgin.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone call from 0800 408 9341 - caller breaking UK law.

mrg9999 wrote:

By law, UK-based companies must not make unsolicited sales and marketing calls to TPS-registered home phone or mobile numbers, even if the call centre is overseas.

I would like to know what legal recourse I can take, as clearly this call centre is breaking UK law, and if it is virgin.

Although I would agree that the person you spoke to shouldn't really have acted in the way they did, as they should have explained where they were calling from and why, the call hasn't broken the law. This is what the TPS website says:

Organisations with which you have an ongoing relationship, for example those who regard you as a customer, (or in the case of charities - a donor) may well gather your consent during the early stages of your relationship with them and will therefore be entitled to call you even if your number is registered on TPS, unless you have previously told them specifically that you object to them calling you for marketing purposes.

All Virgin Media accounts have the options to be set as 'no contact' for marketing related to your account, and this can be easily done via Customer Services. This will stop any marketing being received from Virgin Media in future. 

This marketing check as described by the TPS is done when you start an account with Virgin Media. For instance when you order through the website you are presented with this option (and a similar question is asked by the sales teams):

At Virgin media, we look after your details carefully. Our privacy policy describes how we collect, use and look after your information. You can find out more by reading our privacy policy. We always keep you posted about your services, like changes to prices. Virgin Media would also like to keep in touch with you by post, phone and electronic mail about products and services which we think will interest you. We'd also like to share information about you with other Virgin companies so they can contact you about products and services which they think will interest you. By clicking 'Continue' below you are giving us the OK to do this, but if you prefer that we don't contact you and don't share information about you with other Virgin companies for marketing, please tick the box.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have called, and written (recorded delivery) that I do not want to be called. Surely that is a breach?

0 Kudos
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Phone call from 0800 408 9341 - it's getting really annoying now.

Since Last week this number has rung me twice today, and each time I ask them not to call me.

They rang me twice last friday, twice on Saturday, and once Sunday, and now twice today Monday 25/2.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If it is indeed Virgin phoning you, you have a case

0 Kudos
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I told them if they ring again, I'll be going back to sky

0 Kudos
mrg9999
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

They always start the call

I would like to talk to the billpayer regaring your virginmedia account.

Then they want to go through soem security, which I refuse, unless they tell me what it is  about.

Then they hint at some great, never to be repeated offer.

I tell them I'm not interested, unless the offer is to give me more, for less ooutlay, and if they are Virgin, then to please email me details of the offer, I never get an email.

Hopefully this will stop now.

0 Kudos
Alcedema
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just had a call from this number, claiming to be Virgin Media. 

What we are not happy with is that she said that we had been "selected for an upgrade" and that they ARE going to upgrade our TV and broadband (without any prior participation from us). It was not until we queried the price that she reluctantly told us it will cost more than what we are currently paying. When we told her that we didn't want to pay more she became sarcastic and annoyed.

If we hadn't have queried it and just accepted that we were getting an upgrade, I wonder if we would have actually been told of the price increase or just had our acceptance as a verbal change in our contract.

This is disgusting and completely unacceptable behaviour and a complaint shall be lodged with the relevant authorities.

0 Kudos
Andy_P
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have just started getting these calls on my mobile at about the same time each day, when I cannot answer the phone.

I do not remember EVER giving my mobile phone number to Virgin Media.

Each time I get a text from my phone provider saying I have a voicemail message (which cost me about 25p to retrieve) and each time it is SILENT.

It's very annoying VirginMedia, please STOP IT! If you want to contact me, then use email or a letter.

0 Kudos
acapulco
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just type the phone number in to Google

You'll find that this is a scammer purporting to be Virgin Media and phishing for your

personal details

Either ignore that calls or hang up

0 Kudos