Menu
dickfranklin
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Performance

(a) I find the response from the handset and the time taken to come up with the requested page very slow and frustrating. I sometimes do not know whether this is the system at fault or whether I have done something wrong.

(b) Programmes frequently seem to be not running or break down in the middle of showing. Why is this?

(c) I try to watch something and am told that I must "upgrade", although these programmes are free to air using Free View. Is this just greed on the part of Virgin TV trying to con people into paying for something that is freely available?

(d) When the salesmen called to see me Media TV I raised these issues with him as reasons for my wishing to leave Sky. For example Sky try to charge for watching American Public Broadcasting, which is free to watch in the USA and paid for by government funding and donations. Now I find  that Virgin do the same thing. The salesman did not say anything about this when he was giving me his spiel. I think this is very sharp practice and you seem every bit as avaricious as Sky.

(e) I should add that since I left Sky they are have constantly pleaded with me to go back and at a much reduced subscription. It seems a funny way to run a business to me.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Performance

Hi dickfranklin, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you have been having a few issues with performance. 

I have taken a look at your account and things seem to be looking good overall in terms of your TV and Broadband box stats. Bother have been on for a while so a reboot of the hub and the TiVo® will be beneficial. 

In order to help you further I will need a little more information.

In terms of handset, are you referring to a Mobile device connected to your broadband overall or this site on your device? 

Are you referring to programmes you are recording or live broadcasting channels? 

Sometimes broadcasters will bundle their programmes up for TV service company's. This does sometimes mean that free to air channels will be included in bundles just like there are channels not free to air available on our lowest package. This is down to the Channel itself, not Virgin Media. 

Regarding your point on the American Public Broadcasting, it may be free in the USA however it does cost to be sent over here. This cost would need to be passed down. 

Keep us posted. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
dickfranklin
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply.

I am referring to the handset and the response time from the television. I might press "Home" and I hear a "ping" but it seems a long time before anything happens. In other areas, for example tuning into BBC iplayer` I am asked to "Wait a moment" and a moment seems a long time. Again when it reaches iplayer it asks me to wait again.

I will do as you suggest and try and retune Bother, although I am not sure what that is.

I would still be interested to know why VM attempts to charge subscribers for channels which are free to air on Freeview. Two examples that come to mind are Dave and the Horror channel, although there are others.

On the subject of breakdowns, the whole system, phone, internet and television was down for 36 hours until the day before yesterday. I was assured by someone on your helpline that this would be up and running by 17.30 that day. This did not happen and did not come on again until early the following morning (I am a poor sleeper). This left us a bit vulnerable and concerned. We are both elderly. I had to borrow a mobile phone in order to contact your helpline.

Kind regards

Richard Franklin

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Richard

Thanks for taking the time to get back to us and sorry again for the ongoing issues you're experiencing with your service.

How have things been since the last reboot? We're not detecting any errors or issues with the set top box from our end at the moment so I hope that means things are working as they should?

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
dickfranklin
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that. Miraculously, it seems that both the Dave and Horror channels are both now accessible via our Virgin Media subscription. Either I imagined it last time or VM has done a bit of tweaking.

It still seems to take an inordinate amount of time for the VM site to react to the commands from the handset. It is not always a bad thing. This morning I was able to make a cup of coffee while VM was making it`s mind up. I know I am not imagining it, my wife remarked on it yesterday without any prompting from me.

No sweat. It can have its upside eg,, making a drink or visits to the smallest room.

Kind regards

Dick Franklin 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dick

Thanks for taking the time to let me know about this, I'm really glad to hear that channels have returned, I promise I didn't do anything!

We are aware of an issue with the TiVo box operating slowly at the moment and we're working hard to get that sorted.

Apologies again for the inconvenience caused

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos