Menu
r1skbreak3r
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Painfully slow Tivo

I have one of the first 1Tb boxes from when Tivo launched. The UI has never been the quickest, but lately it's slowed down to the point of frustration! There is a good 2-10 seconds lag when doing certain functions, like going from live TV to My Shows, or bringing up the guide. It never used to be this bad, so I'm thinking the box is on it's last legs.

I know that it usually gets worse when the drive is full, but it's been around 50-60% for a while. Rebooting doesn't help. Is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Painfully slow Tivo

Hi r1skbreak3r,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that the TiVo® has been running slowly.  I will be happy to have a look at this for you.

I have carried out various checks for you, so far all is fine signal/power level wise.  There's no network issues that can be detected which I'm pleased to say.

At this point I can't see any fault this end.  I'd like to know more about when this happens, can you please let me know if this happens all the time or if you noticed if it's speedier at certain times of the day?

It shouldn't matter how full/empty the hard drive is as it should still respond faster regardless.  

It's also worth checking to see the response time using the buttons on the front of the box to help rule out the remote control as well. 

If you can let me know how you get on, I'm here to help.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
r1skbreak3r
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It is worse after it first comes out of standby - if you go back to TV and then try the guide again, it isn't as slow (but still slower than normal). It happens any time of day though.

One other thing I've just noticed after a week away is that the box is regularly missing recordings - if I look in the recording hiccups section, it says that the reason is because the power was lost, but the box is always left on and nothing else shows signs of a power cut so I've no idea why that would be happening?! It seems to be in the evenings around 7-9pm that this is happening.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi R1skbreak3r,

Thank you for coming in and posting your message about the TiVo, I'm sorry to learn that this has been continuing.

I have been into the TiVo and can see that things are looking well. I would like to ask if the power saving settings have been enabled and if so, can you disable them and run the box for at least 24 hours after this post?

Keep in touch and get back to me when you can.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
r1skbreak3r
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ben,

Power saving was enabled until my last post, after which I did some digging on the forum and found it was a known issue. Have disabled it since then but it hasn't made any difference to the performance. I regularly get 5-10 second pauses going between the guide/my shows and live TV, and also when starting to watch a recorded programme.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi R1skbreak3r,

Thank you for trying that and I'm sorry that it's still a bit laggy. There can be a little delay between the menus as they load on to the screen but this shouldn't be more than 5-10 seconds as mentioned.

Can I ask you to try this:-

1. Press Home on your TiVo remote
  2. Select Help & Settings.
  3. Choose Settings.
  4. Select Network.
  5. Choose Connect to the Virgin Media Service now.

Keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos