Menu
LDR-Visions
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PC & Virgin Cable

Ok this my situation.

I have a cable to my living room which goes straight to a VM TiVo BOX no problems.

There is also a cable up to my room where there is the cable modem Hub attached which feed my main PC computer.

Many gadgets in the house on the Wi-Fi and the TV anywhere only allows 2 gadgets per account.

My pc is connected to a 25 inch HD monitor so when watching online TV from the TV anywhere virgin site the quality of the streams is rubbish.

Yes I know there is

http://www.tvcatchup.com/

http://tvplayer.com/

But there is still lack of quality especial on a large monitor.

I understand the cable is DVB-C would virgin allow if I asked them if I could purchase a smartcard for TBS6618 PCI Express DVB-C HD Cable TV Tuner Card with CI Slot ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TBS6618-Express-DVB-C-Cable-Tuner/dp/B008HP544C/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1485...

I just want a decent good quality HD TV service on my computer, where I can save and record my programs like you can on the TiVo Box on my pc.

I don’t want a second TiVo Box as I want it pumped via my pc.

I know I can purchase a USB stick but I don’t have an Arial no more as we been on cable here since NTL days. And the silly little aerials that come with them do not pull in a good picture here.

Just trying to find a reasonable solution….

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: PC & Virgin Cable

You won't be able to do what you want.

Excluding the TV Anywhere options, new box options for Virgin TV are either a Virgin TV V6 or TiVo box. Both of these boxes are cardless i.e. they don't use a Smartcard for authentication.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You will not be able to record any VM programmes on a PC due to the HDCP 2.2 copy protection on the HDMI signal. The only possible way was to use an old TiVo with SCART output and feed a video input card on the PC or SCART to video DVD recorder and then read the DVD on the PC.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
LDR-Visions
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Feel Trapped.

There must be a way round this ?

Seems daft that virgin dont allow or offer customers the option to purchase a pci card or dongle to work with there equipment and PC heads like myself.

will the cable not work as an aerial for the normal free channels not interested in all the other garbage.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's straightforward. The cable network in the UK is wholly owned by Virgin Media and they have total control of the equipment connected to their network.

Their cable delivers cable TV and not Freeview TV so no point in thinking you can use their cable as a terrestrial aerial. The protocols are different, DVB-C v DVB-T.

0 Kudos
LDR-Visions
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes I realize that but there are DVB-C cards and dongles.

Are all channels scrambled only want the main BBC ITV CH4 CH5.

I Have read up to a certain degree about this including using Kodi.

Many other forums say some things work something dont, but against VM policy.

But being a virgin media customer since long before they took over from NTL I thought I would ask in this forum.

sure can obtain another vm box and feed it to my monitor and have a HDMi switch, or stick a dish on the wall or arial but i have to virgin cables coming into my house.

why they make it so damn difficult to long term customers. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You're not listening because you're not getting the answer you want to hear.

The only way to receive DVB-C in the UK is via a Virgin Media supplied and paid for set top box.

0 Kudos
LDR-Visions
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

who is not listening here ?

Have tried plugging in many of the alternative boxes dongles cable PC card on the market today and to see what happens ?

And how come the Television picks up all the digital channels using its built in scanner when the VM box is turned off ?

I meen when the service has gone down and the box has been not unusable we always switch over to the channels in the TV. 

Explain that then please ?

Further reading in other forums. I find this.

That's not true at all i'm afraid.

There are plenty of people using "alternative hardware" like DBOX2 or DVB-C tuners without problem.

It's against the terms and conditions of the service as has been mentioned, but it's very possible to use a pci DVB-C tuner with VM.

Not entirely sure if there's support in MCE for it mind you. I know there's pretty good support in the linux MCE alternatives, but there'll no doubt be a fair bit of setting up to do in that case.

0 Kudos