Menu
hutchball
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Outdated equipment and general decline of Virgin Media

A few years ago I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Virgin Media to anybody who asked but lately my opinion has somewhat changed. The set-top box is severely outdated, extremely slow and cumbersome to use. The TiVo function of suggestions barely works like it used to and Netflix takes around a minute to load!
Every year or so there is a 'sneaky' price increase offset against a new service or channel.
Other than a pretty solid broadband service I have lost faith in what used to be a forward thinking a customer friendly service.
What's gone wrong Virgin?
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outdated equipment and general decline of Virgin Media

Hi hutchball,

Thanks for coming by and I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with our TiVo® lately.  I'd like to have a look at things to see if there's any underlying faults that maybe contributing to the slowness of the TiVo® or causing Netflix issues.

If it's ok with you I'd like to carry out some checks.  I have taken an initial look at your box remotely,  signal/power level wise all looks great from here, there's no network issues present showing high demand which is good news.

I'd like to get to know more specific information, if you can get back to me with the following:

Slowness: Is this when navigating the menu, using Apps, changing channels?

Netflix:  Is this buffering issues, slow to load app?

If you can let me know I can check further Smiley Happy

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
hutchball
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette.

Thanks for your reply an apologies for my delay.
The Virgin Media TiVo box must be 5-6 year old technology now and it feel clunky to navigate. It really is my last-to-go-to device when I want want to use an app like Netflix. Netflix takes an age to load but once it's going it's ok.
Are there any plans to release a newer set-top box like sky have?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi hutchball,

Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

I haven't heard anything new, though we're always look for new and better ways of delivering our services.  If we do come across anything we shall announce this to all if and when this news comes along.

I have had another look at your service remotely and all is still looking fine with the box and network.  Do you get the same responses when using BBC iPlayer or YouTube?

Keep me posted.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hutchball wrote:
Hi Collette.

Thanks for your reply an apologies for my delay.
The Virgin Media TiVo box must be 5-6 year old technology now and it feel clunky to navigate. It really is my last-to-go-to device when I want want to use an app like Netflix. Netflix takes an age to load but once it's going it's ok.
Are there any plans to release a newer set-top box like sky have?

Nothing official has yet been announced, & new equipment is usually trailed by a lucky few customers first, although details on these trials are covered by non-disclosure agreements. But the consensus of opinion now is that the new TiVO will launch in the Summer. Plenty of speculation about the new features also:

https://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/pvr-set-top-boxes/what-we-know-about-the-next-virgin-media-tv-b...

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
hutchball
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Excellent. Will look forward to that. I wonder how you get to be selected to be one of the testers.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If VM are looking for additional testers, they will usually post something on the Community News board.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News-and-events/Community-trialists-needed/m-p/3068114#M514

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
hutchball
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you 👍
0 Kudos