Menu
Wifflesnoot
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Other suppliers via Virgin media box

I have a virgin media box at my house with fibre optic connection. Can I use that for other providers of tv service e.g. Sky ?

Thanks to anyone taking the trouble to reply
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Other suppliers via Virgin media box

The box, which is rented & is Virgins property, is a digital cable (DVB-C standard) box, so wont work on any other TV platform. If you do not have the box on an account with Virgin then it should be either returned to them or disposed of at a recycling facility. I ought to also point out that selling any Virgin equipment is illegal.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unless your cash converters or cash generators as they often seem to have TiVo receivers etc on the shelves for £20-£30!.  

But in general, I wander if in time like BT lines Virgin Media will open up there lines for other providers?.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Dave606 wrote:

Unless your cash converters or cash generators as they often seem to have TiVo receivers etc on the shelves for £20-£30!.  

But in general, I wander if in time like BT lines Virgin Media will open up there lines for other providers?.

Cash Convertor & Cash Generators shouldn't be taking these in.  If you see any then you'd be best reporting it to Virgin.  Anyone who buys these boxes are effectively buying a paperweight as they can't be used on the VM Network without being linked to an active account.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Now who would of thought Cash Convertors would be happy enough to make a few quid out of the gullible or dishonest...As if !!

To answer your question about opening up lines to other suppliers... Bandwidth is at a premium on the TiVo platform so its really not in their interest to carry other channels, unless there is a direct financial benefit (SKY movies or the like). Most content is available through multiple delivery systems anyway (catch up over broadband etc) so the days when content comes down the cable solely are gone.

Personally I use a combination of TiVo (mostly for the kids, M package and no PPV),Freeview HD on PVR and then top up any other content I am interested in through non subscription services (NOW TV and the like), and Amazon prime is looking better and better at the minute. Easy enough to stream it to the big TV for movie nights at home now...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Dave606 wrote:

BT infrastructure was for the most part built with public money, & is also unique in serving almost every property in the country. Virgin & their predecessors built their networks with their own money taking nothing from the public sector, so I cant see them sharing local network infrastructure. Sharing of core network resources & backhaul is a different matter, & some is already going on.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos