Menu
TheKibbster
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

On Demand nearly always broken

Really!?
Why is it so difficult to provide a service that's paid for, most of the time?

We had virgin installed last July (in fact our road had just been cabled and we were pretty much the first house in the road to be hooked up.)
On Demand has been broken nearly every single night since last July.
Sometimes you can get into a program or maybe get away with watching a couple and then BAM!
Error (with numerous different error numbers.)
Sometimes you can relaunch the program and it'll be ok, sometimes that's it for the night... and the next... and the next... and so on...
Sometimes it's more likely to work if you go into the program through search (running it from a bookmark in "My shows" increases the chance of errors considerably.)
EDIT: Skipping backwards and forwards through adverts is likely to kill On Demand as well.

Checking the status usually shows it's a known issue and "An engineer has been dispatched" - Fix ETA 24-48 hours.
I think the engineers don't bother fixing it and just close it and issue another ticket with another 24 hours (to stay in SLA.)
Eventually it'll get fixed... briefly... start watching again and BAM! 
Error.
Check service status, known issue, 24-48 hours.
Rinse and repeat.
It's not our set top box because it happened with our Tivos and it happens with our V6s.
We are paying for the On Demand content and it's a 50/50 guess if it'll work on any given night.
We've moaned at support, a couple of times and the cabling in the road is less than a year old (although On Demand has been a fail from day one.)

Please Virgin, fix the service and fix it properly!
I understand services fail occasionally but we are probably getting more errors than episodes watched at the moment.

Not to be too miserable in this post, your Internet in my area is generally, excellent and fast.
Your V6 boxes are also excellent!
It's just your terrible On Demand reliability.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Demand nearly always broken

Hello TheKibbster,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to learn that you're experiencing problems with the On Demand.

If there are any programs not working for you at the moment then please let me know so I can get this raised if it hasn't been already, I'll just need to know the names and what On Demand channel they're from.

Please also let me know whether there are any error codes.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
TheKibbster
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Demand nearly always broken

Hi sorry not been around to answer your questions, thanks for the reply anyway.
We were trying to watch My mad, fat diary On Demand and had no end of problems, but we managed to get through the series in the end by only launching it from the on demand menu not bookmarks in my shows and by backing out of the menu system and then going back in when it failed.

Eventually we got through the whole lot but it wasn't particularly stress free.
We seemed to have a whole raft of error messages and each time it failed was a different code, I can't remember them now sorry.

This problem has been plaguing our On Demand viewing since day one.
Sometimes you can get through a series in a week without too many problems only to find complete failures when you try to view something the next day.
Sometimes it fails before it can launch the episode, sometimes when you try and skip through the adverts, sometimes before it even loads the adverts part way through.
We've learned to not expect it to work and to avoid disappointment.
I've seen problems with on demand nearly every time I check the status.
And just to prove a point whilst writing this post, I've just checked the Service Status on a whim.

You might find you are seeing error message temporary unavailable at the moment or error 319/9001/407 on screen when trying to use your on demand and catch up services at the moment.

You might find that you are not able to watch Hollyoaks 23/03/2017 on your Virgin Media TV Catch Up, On Demand or TV Choice service at the moment.

This is On Demand for us, just another day of more On Demand errors.
0 Kudos