Menu
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

On Demand Charges

Just want to highlight a "con" that I have just come across this month. We have two boxes in the house, a Tivo and the previous Hd Box.  Previously we were under the impression that no matter which box you ordered/rented a film from you were able to access them from either box and enjoy watching the film.  I did this recently, a film was ordered on the Hd Box and my mother watched the film downstairs. A bit later the same evening I wanted to watch the same film upstairs and went to "My Rentals" to select the film to watch and enjoyed it.

When our bill came in this month we had been charged for renting the film twice. One at standard and one at HD.  The film was only requested once and there was only one message that there would be a charge. We ordered the HD version of the film.

I called the ever so helpful customer services dept to ask why we had received two charges and after some discussion I was informed that because it was "on demand" I had to pay for it. I explained that was fair enough but why should I have to pay twice when the film was coming to the same address, under the same account number but was being viewed via two different boxes. At no point was there a message on the system that would warn me that we would be charged twice for the same film.

I  asked for them to look into this and they said they would be I will not be holding my breath.

Therefore this means that if you have more than one box but want to watch the same film at different times via two different boxes you will be charged for each viewing as a new film.

This has never been the case before and if this a new thing then there should be a warning, as the system must be able to detect that the film has already been ordered (so that it can charge twice) a message should come up and warn people that additional charges will be applied.

I did not find out if the two boxes were the same if there would still be two charges or not.

Very unhappy disgruntled customer.

KH4
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Demand Charges

I have the same issue on Saturday.  I purchased Trolls via our Tivo box then so the kids could watch in the other room accessed via our other Virgin box.  When I logged in via on-demand it stated purchased and at no other point did is say I would be changed for the film again in the same 48 hour window. Did you hear back from customer services.  Why would anyone order the same film twice in the same 48 hour window.???  I will be contacting them tomorrow,

JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When I spoke to them on the phone when the bill came in, I only received the reply that as it was on demand I would have to pay - no objection to paying but there should either be only one charge per account/household or if there are to be additional charges for watching on two different types of box then when you go to view the film on the second box a message should come up to state that you will be charged again - giving you the option to stop.  The only good thing that happened is that Customer Services did credit back one of the charges. They said that they will look into this but I doubt that much will happen. However if this happens again in the future then I will phone again and expect the same treatment - at least until it changes.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

To put the "what should happen" out there- rentals are to your account- not the box. So unless you have a separate box on a separate account, only one charge SHOULD apply.

Its good to see CSC have refunded the charge, but at the end of the day we need to drill down and see WHY you are getting two charges for the same thing.

First question should be- Can you stream from one box to the other?

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Pay-per-view purchases are only charged per device within the time frame allocated to watch, if two different versions of the same content are ordered. Example, if you were to purchase HD content to view on a TiVo®, then watch this on a separate TiVo® but in SD. You will then be prompted to re-enter your PIN to re-purchase and therefore charged twice for this. The 'watch on any box' only applies to the same asset ordered.

Many thanks,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This doesn't mean this is correct -  There is one account but two boxes. I could appreciate it if there were two accounts - that is understandable, however more than one person might want to watch the same film at different times in different parts of the house - if it is one account there should only be one charge and to note  we ordered the film in HD so that does not support your message. If there are to be additional charges for watching the same film, in the same format it HD but on different machines then a message should come up at the second request for the same film. It is just a con if you are not watching what is happening with your account.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you order a Virgin Movies film in HD on one box, you should be able to watch the film in HD on any other capable box and TV connected to the same account during the rental period for no additional cost.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
JuJuDoll
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - the most sensible thing heard so far !! And exactly what I thought should happen but when I questioned it with C/Service or Billpaying that is not what I was told. Well I know that should it happen again I will be calling up each time to express this opinion and claim a refund for every overcharge. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos