Menu
mphippen
Dialled in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Offered More Services

I've just had Virgin call me to offer me an 'exclusive' (read as "your name was next on the list") offer to take Sky Movies at a discounted rate.

I refused for two reasons:

1) The slightly underhand way the salesman presented the facts. He stated that the channels would normally cost me circa £49 (per month), but would now cost me £5 (quiet voice, spoken quickly: per week). Hang on, I said, say that again clearly please, that's £5 PER WEEK, right? Don't present one figure per month and one per week. I was tuned in enough to pick up on this, but some people, the hard of hearing, the elderly, might hear the figures only. As I say, slightly underhanded. But still, even per month, it is a discount. So why didn't I take it....?

2) This request comes hot on the heels of the imposed increase for XL TV customers for the extra premium BT sports channel that we HAVE to take. Now, to be honest here - I called Virgin with the intention of cancelling and was given a discount to counter the increase. Personally I'm sorted on that score, at least for the first year (then we'll see). But the timing of this sales campaign, trying to persuade us to take more services straight after imposing other services on us, is INCREDIBLY badly timed. Cheeky, in fact.

I would, from now on, be VERY wary of taking any more additional services from Virgin following their behaviour over the BT sports issue. What's to say they won't impose a new movie channel and force me to pay for that on top of what I'm taking. A sports movie channel, most likely. In fact, I'm doing the opposite - downgrading all services I can, my landline, my extra box, to safeguard against any future imposed premium channels that Virgin decide I want.

So, bottom line, Virgin Media, is that I DON'T want more from you, forced or offered. You've lost all goodwill from me.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Offered More Services

Hi mphippen, 

Thanks for your post and apologies about the way you've been left feeling. 

We're always looking at ways we can make your package better value for your money so when special promotions such as this come up, we ensure those opted in get to hear about them. 

With regards to the impending price rise, again we are still great value for money. If Sports isn't your thing then now would be a grate time to tailor your package. I can see you've already called in and got a discount on your package. Did the team discuss any other options with you?

I've left feedback for the agent who rang you to ensure they are clear and precise on the phone so thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

If you have any further queries or issues, let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
mphippen
Dialled in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Offered More Services

Hi Kath,

Thank you very much for your reply, it is much appreciated.

I'm happy to hear that you are taking the feedback on the sales tactics and have passed them back. Nicely done.

I did call about tailoring my package but was told in no uncertain terms that it's not possible to tailor a package, only downgrade it. Your (very nice) customer support person even told me that 22% of my viewing was XL channels that I would lose if I downgraded, so it wasn't really an option. It was like it or lump it, really, so I went through to retention to cancel - I was given a discount for a fixed period which kept me on for now, but we'll see after that period if anything can be done, as I really don't want to pay a premium for expensive sports channels I don't need.

But again, thanks for your response. Always nice to be heard, as a customer.

Mark

0 Kudos