Menu
Andypg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Obsolete Virgin TVbox

Do Virgin ever replace customer's TV boxes or do customers just have to put up with their original kit forever? Their website boasts how customers can record programmes with the V6 or TiVo boxes but our reward for being a loyal customer is an ancient piece of kit that's nearly 10 years old and doesn't have a record facility.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Obsolete Virgin TVbox

If you phone in you should be able to switch to any package that is currently available to a new subscriber and upgrade your service along with a new box etc. though there might be an installation charge. The only thing you wont be able to get is the special offers for new subscribers, such as free gifts or reduced prices for a certain number of months.

Andypg
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl and update on here what they say.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Andypg wrote:

Do Virgin ever replace customer's TV boxes or do customers just have to put up with their original kit forever? Their website boasts how customers can record programmes with the V6 or TiVo boxes but our reward for being a loyal customer is an ancient piece of kit that's nearly 10 years old and doesn't have a record facility.

Call retentions on 150 and you will get a new router and a TiVo/V6 box along with a loyalty discount and all installation charges waived.  Generally worked for me down the years (since 2002).  Have gone through 4 different TV boxes and 3 routers.  Currently a little behind the curve with Tivo and Superhub 2, but come October and my annual re-negotiation that should change.  

That said, I don't even use use the TiVo these days.  Too big, I have effectively replaced it with a Roku Stick, an Amazon Fire stick and a Chromecast.

Andypg
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well, we spoke to 150 over the weekend and they agreed the box is ancient! They're sending us a new box and router which we can just plug in so no installation charge is required. We spoke to them a little while back when we moved house and they never offered to update the box so thank you both for giving me some helpful advice as to how to start the dialogue off with them.

0 Kudos