Menu
Just joined
Message 1 of 4 (43 Views)

Noisy V+ Box

Hi all,

I have been with Virgin for around 18 months now, we swapped from Sky and went with a multiroom package. Downstairs is the TiVO box that records 4 programs at once, upstairs we have a Samsung V+HD Box, Model SMT-HJ110. The V+ Box is up in one of the bedrooms, since purchase it has been loud, it sounds like a fan spinning over and over but it can start even when the box has been in standby and not used for days. It happens regularly and has even woken me up on occasions and lasting well over half an hour, it can also be heard downstairs when it's going,

Does anybody know what the problem is?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Message 2 of 4 (36 Views)

Re: Noisy V+ Box

[ Edited ]

The HDD (& fan) spins up once an hour for a couple of minutes. Also there are periods especially around 12:30pm (main EPG update) & 6am (channel & NIT updates) where there is further activity. All of this is normal behaviour & is not caused by a fault.

Run a vacuum cleaner around the outlet & it may make things better. You should be able to have the unit changed for another refurb V+HD if this does not fix it.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Just joined
Message 3 of 4 (32 Views)

I have tried to run a vacuum over it and it is on it's own shelf and not obstructed by any other box, if it was just for a couple of minutes I wouldn't mind so much, it's being woken at 3am and having the noise constantly for around half an hour which has happened a few times :/

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4 (13 Views)

Hi Sam63,

Welcome to the Community!

Really sorry to hear you've had trouble with your V+ box.

I've located your account and I can see the team are sending out a replacement box. Let us know how it goes!

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos