Menu
Di5co
Dialled in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Noisy Tivo box

i had a replacement Tivo box roughly a year ago, but straight away I noticed that it was louder than the old faulty one. But after the hassle with the 1st faulty one I thought I can't be asked to wait again.. but lately my current Tivo box has been playing on my mind.

often the fan will kick up real loud, I'm not sure why as I feel around the cabinet and its not hot and not even warm, then theres the Hdd I can hear that thing scratching away. but I'm concerned cause I have just noticed when I walk into the room before I leave for work at 5am (I have just noticed cause we have just got a dog, so I let him out 1st thing and before I just left to go work) but I have noticed the there are days when even tho the Tivo is on standby the fan is really ramped up?? Not sure if anything to be concerned about, but I was think if its that loud then it must be hot? I don't want a fire to break out or anything!

advice?

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Noisy Tivo box

Tivos dont have a fan, are you sure you have a Tivo?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a V+HD to me. Its the only box that does have a fan.

The V+HD fan operates at any time the HDD is operating. In standby, this is usually once an hour (at about quarter past) to receive updates. It will also fire up additional times between Midnight & 6am, with a full EPG reload & changes to the Network ID tables etc.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Di5co
Dialled in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Its Defo a Tivo box, I assume its a fan as that's what it sounds like? What else can be whuuuring away in it?

Are you sure Tivo's don't have a fan?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Nope, they don't. I have seen posts similar to yours, & the issue is sometimes caused by vibration against a solid surface. If you can put some insulation between the feet & what its standing on, it might solve the problem.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Di5co
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

i have some felt pads around somewhere which I use under the ps4 to stop vibrating, ill stick some under the Tivo. But is this normal for the Tivo box to sound loud in the early hours (mainly)? and whats in it to cause vibration if no fan is inside? I watched a tear down video and it looked as if there was a vertical fan at the back?? how does it stop it from over heating?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Di5co,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that your TiVo® box is being on the noisy side for you.  I just wanted to pop by and see how things are after trying foam cushions under the box.

I'm here to help if you need me.  I look forward to hearing from you. Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Di5co
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Still the same, I came down stairs this morning to let the dog out at 5am and I can hear the Tivo box whuuring away from across the room (it still sounds like a fan to me) what is causing this noise if there isn't a fan? its not a hdd scratching noise either.. its a loud humming sound just like a fan making the Tivo box vibrate.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Di5co,

Cheers for the reply and posting back Smiley Happy

There can be some noise coming from the TiVo but this shouldn't be above the viewing pleasure of the shows/movies Smiley Happy

I'd like to look into this further for you and as such, I've sent you a 'Private Message', you can find this by clicking on the little blue envelope near the top right of the page.

I'll speak to you soon and take care.

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos