Menu
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No Omni Box ?? - New install last week

Last week we had cabling put through our front garden ready for the install which took place at the end of the last week.

We now have a cable clipped up the outside wall and through a hole drilled in the brick work into the lounge.  Other houses we have seen have had these brown 'Omni Boxes' covering this area, but they never put one on ours - just the wire straight through the brick work.  There is the white box on the inside wall.

Have they not fully completed the install correctly, or is this something that is normal ?

Thanks in advance

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No Omni Box ?? - New install last week

The omni-box would just contain an in-line connector for the coax & one for the phone, but as you don't have multi-room services & therefore all your equipment is in the same room it does not really have a purpose. The box on the inside contains a safety isolator.

You would only have issues if:

A) You wanted to add multi-room at a later date.

B) Your drop cable needed re-pulling.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The omni-box would just contain an in-line connector for the coax & one for the phone, but as you don't have multi-room services & therefore all your equipment is in the same room it does not really have a purpose. The box on the inside contains a safety isolator.

You would only have issues if:

A) You wanted to add multi-room at a later date.

B) Your drop cable needed re-pulling.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the confirmation - I was thinking they had done something wrong, but as we have the phone socket and TV/broadband services coming at at the same point I can understand now that it wasn't necessary.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
EightBall
Up to speed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's also worth noting that if it's ever needed, i.e. you get a second box, adding one in shouldn't be a huge issue.