Menu
Lambertus71
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

New Joiner

Hi,

recently joined Virgin Media and I have some teething issues. I assume there have been adressed elsewhere, but would appreciate a pointer. I have the full VIP packace with Virgin fibre optic.Due to a number of issues I am considering moving back to Sky, but need to confirm if these are endemic to Virgin. I basically have 10 days to consider as I am still in the cool down period.

1.) The package claime internet speed of 200MPS, the fastest we have had is 35 MPS. This normal?

2.) I am unable to set up the Anywhere application. It requires me to be on the same wifi as the TIvo boxes? any idea where to get help regarding this? Sky Go was so seamless regarding this.

3.) Ditto for Sky Sports on my iPhone. Any idea how to set this up? I assume the Sky Go app wont work through Virgin Media?

4.) Sky Atlantic is not available on Virgin, any ideas on how to get this?

5.) we unable to work out the movies structure. is there some guidance somewhere?

6.) The remote is very hard to operate, is there any guidance somewhere?

I am very keen to give Virgin a go (hate Rupert Murdock) but its proving to be rather challenging to operate.

thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Joiner

Lambertus71 wrote:

Hi,

recently joined Virgin Media and I have some teething issues. I assume there have been adressed elsewhere, but would appreciate a pointer. I have the full VIP packace with Virgin fibre optic.Due to a number of issues I am considering moving back to Sky, but need to confirm if these are endemic to Virgin. I basically have 10 days to consider as I am still in the cool down period.

1.) The package claime internet speed of 200MPS, the fastest we have had is 35 MPS. This normal?

Is this wired or wirless? There are no guarantees for wireless speeds. If you are getting this speed wired it needs investigation.

2.) I am unable to set up the Anywhere application. It requires me to be on the same wifi as the TIvo boxes? any idea where to get help regarding this? Sky Go was so seamless regarding this.

You have to be on the same network to use a device as a remote control. To view live channels you can be on any WiFi network.

3.) Ditto for Sky Sports on my iPhone. Any idea how to set this up? I assume the Sky Go app wont work through Virgin Media?

The Sky Sports app will ask for your Virgin Login. Sky Go is only for Sky's own customers.

4.) Sky Atlantic is not available on Virgin, any ideas on how to get this?

Move to Sky. They won't wholesale the channel to any other provider.

I am very keen to give Virgin a go (hate Rupert Murdock) but its proving to be rather challenging to operate.

thanks

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Lambertus71
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, very helpfull.

Not sure what is meant by wired or wireless. I measured the speed on my iphone using Speedchecker app?

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lambertus71 wrote:
Thanks, very helpfull.

Not sure what is meant by wired or wireless. I measured the speed on my iphone using Speedchecker app?

That would be wireless then, wired is what you'd tend to use for a desktop PC which has a physical wire connected to the Superhub rather than using Wi-Fi. Wireless is very dependent on the signal strength, so depends on how far you are from the router, interference, things in the way etc.

Also, there are two standards of wi-fi available on the Superhub 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz, 2.4Ghz only supports speeds up to 56mb regardless of how fast your internet connection is, so might also be worth checking which you're using and changing if needs be, assuming your iPhone is an iPhone 5 or later as models before that don't support 5.0Ghz.

0 Kudos
Lambertus71
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,I would hope my Superhub is the fastest, only 3 days old!

Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Lambertus71
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

So last night I stood right next to the router and the maximum speed was 20 mps, appreciate that it might be a busy time of the day, but that is well below the promised 200 mps.My router is a Superhub 3, supposedly able to handle up to 400 mps?

Is this normal?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You have been advised already that your device, a wifi-connected phone, is the issue.

Virgin Media are likely delivering the full 200Mb and more to your Hub 3.0 but your phone will never get that. It is limited to its hardware capability and limited on top of that by sharing the ether with your neighbours.

You have chosen a very fast internet connection without understanding your equipment can't match that speed.

Your Lada won't do 200mph, even if you go to a German autobahn.

0 Kudos
Lambertus71
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks Ernie, so you would suggest I measure it with a laptop connected to the Router?

I am using the equipment provided by Virgin Media and the hub provided by Virgin Media. Not sure why they advertise speed of 200mps if their equipment cannot handle it?

Maybe the BMW I bought is a spray painted Lada? :-)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lambertus71 wrote:

thanks Ernie, so you would suggest I measure it with a laptop connected to the Router?

I am using the equipment provided by Virgin Media and the hub provided by Virgin Media. Not sure why they advertise speed of 200mps if their equipment cannot handle it?

Yes. The measurement is for wired devices only, as Virgin has no control over how congested the WiFi is in your location. Goes back to the comparison with the car. It may be capable of 200MPH, but if you are stuck in a load of traffic that is only doing 40MPH, that is the speed you are stuck at along with everyone else around you.

I am on 100Mb at home, & wired to my PC get 108Mb without problems. The WiFi in my area is swamped however, with 18 users sharing the 3 non-contending 2.4Ghz channels & another 6 using interfering channels that mess things up for everyone. If I'm lucky I get 12Mb on a tablet a few metres away from my hub.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Lambertus71 wrote:

You are still misunderstanding. In the analogy, the car is your phone, the Lada. The Virgin Media broadband connection is the autobahn.

You must first check that the autobahn is working by directly attaching a device like a laptop to the Hub 3.0 - the device just have a gigabit Ethernet adapter. If not, it will have the same issue as your phone and be limited below 100Mb.

0 Kudos