Menu
Reply
  • 4
  • 0
  • 0
rwill19050
Joining in
133 Views
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New Film No Subtitles

I  rented the eagerly awaited Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2

To my amazement it did not have subtitles, and being quite deaf was of no use to me whatsoever.

Why does Virgin not warn of a film not having subtitles?

Waste of money, and as a pensioner, ill afforded.

Not a lot to ask really

Has anyone else 'been had' like this ?

 

0 Kudos
  • 12.67K
  • 1.61K
  • 3.73K
Superuser
Superuser
128 Views
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Film No Subtitles


rwill19050 wrote:

I  rented the eagerly awaited Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2

To my amazement it did not have subtitles, and being quite deaf was of no use to me whatsoever. Why does Virgin not warn of a film not having subtitles?

Waste of money, and as a pensioner, ill afforded. Not a lot to ask really. Has anyone else 'been had' like this ?

 


Not all films have subtitles. It is up to whoever produced the content and provided it to VM, who are responsible for subtitles being included or not, not VM. You should see clearly in the film's description info before purchasing if subtitles are included or not, so you can make an informed choice. If it mentions subtitles are included and upon pressing the subtitle button on your remote control none showed: you can then ask for a refund. Call into 150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 454 1111 (from all other lines), go into the main menu, report a fault (option 2) and report a TV fault. Ask for a refund.

Additionally, a member of the Forum Team here can look into that film 'Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2' to find out why its subtitle option isn't working. That is if the film lists as having subtitles to begin with - you could have simply rented a film which doesn't offer subtitles.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
  • 4
  • 0
  • 0
rwill19050
Joining in
109 Views
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Film No Subtitles

You should see clearly in the film's description info before purchasing if subtitles are included or not, so you can make an informed choice

I'm afraid you are wrong with this statement.

There is nothing on my setup that says anything about subtitles when I go to rent a film.

Aside from that, in this day and age of technology is it wrong for me to assume that the deaf and hard of hearing community are catered for when a studio is publishing a film?

 

0 Kudos
  • 4
  • 0
  • 0
rwill19050
Joining in
98 Views
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Film No Subtitles


Shelke wrote:

rwill19050 wrote:

I  rented the eagerly awaited Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2

To my amazement it did not have subtitles, and being quite deaf was of no use to me whatsoever. Why does Virgin not warn of a film not having subtitles?

Waste of money, and as a pensioner, ill afforded. Not a lot to ask really. Has anyone else 'been had' like this ?

 


Not all films have subtitles. It is up to whoever produced the content and provided it to VM, who are responsible for subtitles being included or not, not VM. You should see clearly in the film's description info before purchasing if subtitles are included or not, so you can make an informed choice. If it mentions subtitles are included and upon pressing the subtitle button on your remote control none showed: you can then ask for a refund. Call into 150 (from a VM phone) or 0345 454 1111 (from all other lines), go into the main menu, report a fault (option 2) and report a TV fault. Ask for a refund.

Additionally, a member of the Forum Team here can look into that film 'Hunger Games Mockingjay part 2' to find out why its subtitle option isn't working. That is if the film lists as having subtitles to begin with - you could have simply rented a film which doesn't offer subtitles.


So, no takers for this one then, (apart from the very unhelpful reply from Shelke)

0 Kudos
  • 12.67K
  • 1.61K
  • 3.73K
Superuser
Superuser
95 Views
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Film No Subtitles


rwill19050 wrote:

I'm afraid you are wrong with this statement. There is nothing on my setup that says anything about subtitles when I go to rent a film.

Aside from that, in this day and age of technology is it wrong for me to assume that the deaf and hard of hearing community are catered for when a studio is publishing a film?

 


The info should be listed in the description of a film, as is mentioned here by a staff member: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV/Subtitles-On-Demand-and-Catch-Up/m-p/2795637#M120657 - one post suggests it will list with an (S) to description indicate subtitles are available.

No it is not wrong to expect subtitling, but that is the responsibility of the content creator to provide it. Long story short, you rented a film which either has no subtitles or needs corrections made on VM's end to get the subtitling to work.

You can call in and ask for a refund, being that it will be the first time you're asking for a refund for this kind of issue, they should be willing to give it. But keep in mind not to rent films in the future which don't include subtitles.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos