Menu
Jason26
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Netflix

Is Netflix free through Virgin Media?

Having just joined,  I was under the impression that Netflix was free. I have the TV XL package and its advertised throughout the site as having access to Box sets and Netflix, with no mention of having to pay for the service! The Box sets available on catch up/on demand are extremely limited and not very extensive, so I'm extremely disappointed and feel misled should it transpire that Netflix is subscription only.

If you go here, http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/ways-to-watch/on-demand/index.html, Netflix is heavily advertised as part of the Virgin TV and On demand service, but does not mention any fees associated - very disappointing Virgin Media (especially when it details costs applicable to Virgin Movies). Not a good introduction so far....

0 Kudos
jk1980
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix

Hi Jason26

There have been occasional offers via VM where you get Netflix free for a short time - usually 6 months, some times longer.

See this page - http://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/netflix.html

Netflix in itself is a subscription service  starting at £5.99 per month.  If you subscribe via the Netflix app on TiVo it registers your device straight away.

Have a look at https://www.netflix.com/nrd/virginmedia?locale=en-GB

You can subscribe using a credit card, obtain top cards but there are other payment options available.

Best of all, there is no contract so you can stop at any point, you will be able to use the service until it stops (you are charged on a monthly basis).

Hope this helps

Jon

0 Kudos
Jason26
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

I realise now - as a Virgin Media customer - that Netflix within Tivo is a subscription service. I just feel a little duped by the way it is/has been marketed...it is heavily advertised throughout the site and within all the package pages as part of the services (i.e. On demand/catch up/box sets), but not once is a paid-for, subscription based service mentioned.  

The pages state that "you can tuck into thousands of hours of popular shows, full box sets, movies and music, whenever you like"...however, somewhat mischievously, it doesn't once mention there's an additional cost to this. 

0 Kudos
ganng01
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Totally agree. I came across from Sky a month ago. I had a full Sky planner but wasn't worried. I just wrote down the earliest episode of each program I had recorded, fully expecting to be able to continue watching them all on Virgin On-Demand. I have the Big Kahuna package but am very disappointed to find that the much hyped On-Demand service is pitiful compared to Sky.

At the time of purchase I couldn't find any information regarding a cost for Netflix, again I wasn't too bothered as all of the sales patter lead me to believe that the huge, hours long on-demand service was part of the package I was purchasing, just like it is with Sky.

It wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me as Broadband was the driver for changing but I think it should be made clearer how limited the On-Demand is without paying extra for Netflix.

0 Kudos