Menu
tomchiverton
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Multiroom - all shows are blocked

I just ran network cable all over the house to link up our two Tivo so we could stream recordings between them.

Every single program I picked gave some message about 'the copyright holder says no'. Everything from Danger Mouse to Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD. Even Coronation Street (all of which is on demand also).

What gives ? Is this because it was recorded before the Tivo's paired up ? Or does nothing actually work with multiroom, and you are best duplicating your series links on the two boxes ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Multiroom - all shows are blocked

The list is on this page in the section called 'Check out channels you'll enjoy'. There is then an option for Multi-room streaming

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/ways-to-watch.html
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
activa
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We got a second TIVO box to do exactly that but anything that we have wanted to stream is blocked. VM have a great product in TIVO but they really need to get this sorted out and the licences in place to allow streaming between boxes 

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You answered the question yourself. The owner of the programme will not allow it to be streamed to another box. Simples.

There was a list of channels that allowed MRS, but I can't find it now.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
tomchiverton
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

That list would be helpful if you could find it
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The list is on this page in the section called 'Check out channels you'll enjoy'. There is then an option for Multi-room streaming

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/ways-to-watch.html
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
tomchiverton
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Awesome. Cheeky to ask, but is Sky crippled the same way, or can it actually send recordings around the house ?

0 Kudos
Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You don't need an extra box to stream recordings around the house. There are several ways to do it e.g. a wireless av sender from the scart out. No restrictions on what channels you can stream and more importantly less cost. VM charging for streaming and then blocking channels is bonkers.
0 Kudos
tomchiverton
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"
You don't need an extra box to stream recordings around the house. There are several ways to do it e.g. a wireless av sender from the scart out.
"

I do if one of use is watching something (live or recorded) and the other wants to watch something different. As far as I can tell the only way to do that on NTL is to buy two Tivo's and manually sync. the series links.
Eww.
So surely Sky can't be as bad ?
0 Kudos
activa
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We got a second TIVO box to do exactly that but anything that we have wanted to stream is blocked. VM have a great product in TIVO but they really need to get this sorted out and the licences in place to allow streaming between boxes 

Grumpy_Trucker
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

tomchiverton wrote:

Awesome. Cheeky to ask, but is Sky crippled the same way, or can it actually send recordings around the house ?

Almost certainly they can do it. Their new Q box does exactly this, and to tablets too. Most of our channels (part from the terrestrial ones) are owned by SKY these days so they will be deliberately holding back the TiVo from doing this to gain - in my view - an unfair advantage in this field. I've no idea why FTA channels can't all be streamed though. That's just plain stupid, but all part of the stupidity that is Copyright Protection Legislation in this country.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Grumpy_Trucker wrote:

tomchiverton wrote:

Almost certainly they can do it. Their new Q box does exactly this, and to tablets too. Most of our channels (part from the terrestrial ones) are owned by SKY these days so they will be deliberately holding back the TiVo from doing this to gain - in my view - an unfair advantage in this field. I've no idea why FTA channels can't all be streamed though. That's just plain stupid, but all part of the stupidity that is Copyright Protection Legislation in this country.

Where do you get the idea most channels are owned by Sky?

They have their own branded channels, & a shareholding in A+E Networks, but they are not commercially involved with the majority of the rest. They have exclusivity deals with a few channels, but the majority deal freely with Sky in the same way they deal with Virgin or any other platform

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_the_United_Kingdom

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos